Valuable Border Crossing Information

• Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

This post is for people planning a trip to Canada who may have questions regarding crossing the border with some type of incident(s) on their record.

The best way to summarize crossing the border with a past incident(s) is to look at things in 3 different time frames.

Time Frame #1 – (0 – 5 years)
    If you have an incident such as a DWI in the last 60 months, chances are very good you will not be allowed into Canada.

Time Frame #2 – (6 – 10 years)
    If the incident on your record is more than 60 months and less than 120 month, then you can apply for “rehabilitation”. There is a $200 or so fee associated with the application, but chances are that if you have only one incident on record, you will be allowed to enter.

Time Frame #3 – (11 years or older)
    At this point you are deemed “rehabilitated” and should be allowed entry, provided there are not multiple offences in the past. The past being forever… even youthful incidents.

A very important note: If you find yourself in a border crossing situation, and are being told that you or a member of your party can not cross, you have options. First thing to do is keep your cool and never, let me repeat that, NEVER, get upset or confrontational. You will lose. The next thing to do is politely ask for Temporary Residency Permit. This TRP is a onetime pass that can be issued at the desecration of the border crossing agent. Typically this is only issued once an application for rehabilitation has been filed, but it is still is an option. If all else fails, call your outfitter at the border and explain what is happening. They may or may not be able to help you.

At Pasha Lake Cabins, we are a member Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters Association or NOTO (www.noto.net). NOTO is an organization that serves multiple functions to tourism camps here in Ontario. One of those functions is to deal with the absurd legislation surrounding this border crossing thing.

Within NOTO, there is a gentleman by the name of Doug Reynolds who is hands down the foremost expert on dealing with border crossing issues. Doug is a wealth of information and completely understands the in’s and outs of crossing the border with incidents on your record. Doug’s contact information is :

T: 705-472-5552 ext. 23
    F: 705-472-0621
    E: [email protected]

Doug has helped many of our guests navigate through the process of crossing the border and is a great resource. If you have questions, don’t be shy, give him a call or shoot him an email.

As always, I am here too. I don’t care if your staying here or not, I can serve as a resource for you as well!

Until next time!

Chad

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Great info Chad,this topic comes up often! On a side note,is a passport now mandatory?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great info Chad. I know there are many people down here with incidents on their records that have just given up on the idea of going to Canada because of concerns of getting across the border.

Thanks for posting.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Great info Chad!!

Jami

DougSportsman
    Maple Grove, MN

Great info. Thanks so much. I am constantly amazed by all the mystery there seems to be surrounding border crossings into Canada.

Chad Thompson

Hi Dean –

To enter Canada you need a vaild picture ID and a Birth Certificate.

To get back into the US, technically you need the passport, however I don’t know of a US citizen who has been held in Canada because they didn’t have a passport to get back into the country.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What is the logic behind not allowing people with DWIs on their record from crossing the border? Are Canadian laws stricter in regard to DWIs? A person can fly in without the same restrictions, can’t they?

I am not a world traveler, so I have no idea how DWs affect ones ability to travel abroad.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

What is the logic behind not allowing people with DWIs on their record from crossing the border? Are Canadian laws stricter in regard to DWIs? A person can fly in without the same restrictions, can’t they?

I am not a world traveler, so I have no idea how DWs affect ones ability to travel abroad.

In Canada a DWI is a felony.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

“A person can fly in without the same restrictions, can’t they?”

Thats a good point

bigpike

One thing I have noticed the last few years from my own crossing expierience at the Grand Portage crossing. They have not even asked that question of me. Before that time I was asked that question every single time through. Also it is my opinion the Grand Portage is a much easier, less busy border crossing than say I-Falls. Thanks for the great info and I am glad to see there are people out there trying to make the border better to cross without some of the sillyness involved with the Canadien goverment.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

In Canada a DWI is a felony.

Hmm, I bet there aren’t any “funny” stories up there about guys getting DWs mowing their yard on riding lawn mowers like we have down here.

Chad Thompson

Hi mplspug- for reasons beyond the more conservative minded’s control here in Canada, there has been legislation passed that has undermined common sense. I could rant on for hours about how ridiculous the situation is, but that isn’t going to help things. For the time being, it is what it is and I have to learn to work within system to make sure our guests get the opportunity to get here. To answer your question bluntly, there is no logic behind what has happened, just plain lack of common sense.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

When I crossed, they only looked at the passports briefly. I’m sure they did a check on the licence plate of the truck. Questions were – Where do you live, wher are you going and for how long. AND what is in the long tubs(pole tubes). That was it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.