Otter x over resort or lodge

• SDfisher44

I’m looking at getting an otter flip over and not sure if I want the resort or the lodge, I was thinking lodge but then found out the resort is only 20 lbs more. I have a Side by side to pull it but early ice I would be by hand but the gear would all be on my buddies smitty sled. Is the resort too heavy if it’s empty to pull 1 man? Is it worth spending a couple hundred more and getting a lot bigger shack?

gator800r

In my opinion both are to heavy to pull by hand if you have snow on the ice. I bought the lodge because I wanted it to fit in the bed of my box without having to leave the tailgate down. That’s not possible with the resort unless you have a truck with the long box.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Good point by gator800r.

I have a 6.5′ Chevy box and the Lodge barely fits with about 2″ to spare. I would not want to have to leave the truck tailgate down and strap a house in. The road spray would leave the shack a salty, slushy mess half the time. Not to mention, you’d have to be careful on what you put in the box along with the shack, or things may fly out on the road.

I have never fished with a Resort, but the Lodge is big enough. It’s also quite heavy when it comes to pulling on the ice, loaded with gear, and when lifting into the back of the truck.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

A resort is a two person everything. Tons of room but two people will save your back. It also will not fit in a shortbed with the tailgate closed. I used mine more for red lake and LOW trips where more room was needed for longer outings. The lodge will be 1-2 person lifts, will hold everything you need for 2-3 people and will fit in the back of the truck with tailgate closed. That is the #1 selling house.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I was debating between the 2 and went with the lodge. Upon loading it in the truck when I picked it up, I knew I made the right choice. It will be plenty big for 2.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Enjoy your lodge.
    Bought one a couple years ago and have been happy with it. Fishes 2 people very well and 3 if needed but a little crowded.

Sylvanboat

Oh, the decisions we have to make. Our wives just don’t understand.

Gilgetter

I watched a YouTube video a while back. It was an assembly video on the resort. The creator sits in the sled and be looks like a child. They look like quite the unit but they are no doubt very large. You would have to be a hulk to pull it by hand.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.