Okoboji in July

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

So, I have an opportunity to take a long weekend at Lake Okoboji while my wife is doing some CE there in mid July. Sounds like it would be a friday-saturday-sunday morning (18-20). Never been there before, anyone have any info if its worth lugging the boat and buying an IA license for 2.5 days at that time of year? Is it a heavy pleasure boat lake that I’d just end up more frustrated than its worth on a weekend in July? I have to give a commitement in the next week or so, just wanted to see if anyone on here could give me some insight to sway me one way or the other?

Thanks

brad-o
    Mankato

Spirit lake would be a great option. The large mouths should be on the shorelines. Smallmouths off the deeper rock areas. Walleyes will be in the basin or the weeds. Good luck.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’d have to trailer to get on Spirit correct, not water connection? I think her classes are on a resort on Okobji, don’t know which one.

How is crime in the area, just dumped a large chunk of change on electronics, is it an area I’m going to want to removed everything not bolted/locked on overnight? (Yes I’m paranoid about things like that).

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

I’d have to trailer to get on Spirit correct, not water connection? I think her classes are on a resort on Okobji, don’t know which one.

How is crime in the area, just dumped a large chunk of change on electronics, is it an area I’m going to want to removed everything not bolted/locked on overnight? (Yes I’m paranoid about things like that).

Which resort could make a lot of difference, some are more boater friendly than others. Yes the lake will be busy with all sorts of different users. Just like any other waters, early mornings will be much less crowded. Personally I would not leave my boat unattended any where with out a cover on it. If it is covered, you should be OK at most any resort dockage.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

East and West Okoboji will be a Zoo that time of year with big pleasure boats cruising from Sunrise to Sunset. Both lakes are connected but I would stay away. I would try Spirit in the morning and evenings. Traffic will be a lot less on Spirit even during the day. As far as crime, I have never had a problem but I put my cover on at night and park the boat out front of my hotel room.

Good luck!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

It will take a theif just as little time to take off you electronics as it will take you to do it. Theives all over man. Remove your valuables anywhere you go IMO.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Conference is at ‘The Inn’. From a quick look at the map it doesn’t look the most fisherman freindly by layout at least

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Well, boat parking on site is no where near your rooms.

There is a nearby public ramp for launching on East Okoboji. As for myself, If I was in your shoes and wanted to take my boat; I’d launch the boat, park the empty trailer in the boat parking on site, dock my boat (covered, with out electronics) overnight and during the day, at the private resort docks. I don’t think you will have too much to worry about at this resort, fairly high end. I have no idea what dockage for a couple days may run you.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Big Spirit is the best option. Launch at Marble Beach and fish from the north Buffalo Run (Baker’s Pt.) south to Templar’s Park. Should be good plugs or live bait riggin.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I wouldn’t even think about it. That is the worst weekend ever to go to Okoboji. Why….do you know what RAGBRAI is? Okoboji is an overnight stop town on Sunday July 30. There will be up to 30,000 bicyclists, support vehicles, vendors and everything imaginable there that weekend. Go to RAGBRAI.com. Go and enjoy Okoboji but don’t try to get around with a boat, it will be a madhouse. Sunday night is the actual overnight stop and HAIRBALL will be performing. They are quit entertaining. Stay and watch that if you can. RAGBRAI OKOBOJI also has a Facebook page. That place is a zoo on any given summer weekend. This will be the biggest mess there ever.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Shoot, my goal is to relax and get away from people, not walk right into the crowd. May have to nix that idea.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Does the insanity carry up to big spirit or would it be reasonably quiet up there?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Probably not a lot of bikers out on the lakes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.