Oahe is on the rise

• Willeye
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Lake Oahe’s water levels are good news for Walleye, anglers

By Ben Shouse, Argus Leader

Published: June 8, 2007

Lake Oahe added 2 feet 10 inches in May, and is expected to gain 2 more feet in elevation in June.

That is good news for walleye and the forage fish they eat. The fish lay their eggs in shallow water, so steady or falling lake levels can cut into reproduction.

Oahe is now at 1,580.5 feet above seal level, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. That is 3.5 feet higher than this time last year, but 22.7 feet below normal.

Rainfall was 23 percent above normal for May in the Missouri River basin upstream from Sioux City, offering some relief from seven years of drought.

Pops
    Participant
    Big River, WI

This is good news. Heading out there next week for our annual 3M walleye tournament. All though it will mean that the trees that were 1-2 feet out of the water last year will be just under the water this year. Lot of caution needed. Thanks for the update.

saldydog
    Participant
    Scales Mound IL

Been 5 years since I,ve been out their .Water was down 17’had to trailer the boat every day.But had excellent fishing.Stayed in Pollock at a place owned by Bob Shadwell Cant find his place on the web and would be interested in going back there.Any info?

redneck
    Participant
    Rosemount

That’s great news Curt. Oahe was looking good over Memorial Day and I guess it is going higher still. Hopefully Chantier Creek launch will stay open all Summer this year. Last couple of years it has been closed by Labor Day. Is your Dad hitting the big lake yet? I heard the bite has made it down to Bushes Landing so our end should be good by late June.

Willeye
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Rich,

Dad’s been doing some guide work on the side but I think it’s all been on Sharpe, which has really been good of late. Nothing big, but a lot of fish. Fort Pierre is hosting the state Fire School this week and once that is done he’ll start getting ready for the Governor’s Cup which is July 14 and 15. He’s got a new boat this year (white Pro V with a 225 Merc) so he’s looking forward to tearing all over Oahe with it. I think the family and I are headed to Pierre the week of July 9 and I hope to get out on the water for a few days. Will you guys be around then?

Curt

P.S. The little walleye that is in my avatar was caught in Chantier about 10 years ago!

redneck
    Participant
    Rosemount

Curt,
    I think we will be out there from June 29th to July 8th. Hopefully one of these days our paths will cross. We usually hit Sharpe a time or two but by late June the bigger walleye seem to be in our area and it is nice to fish right by the house. Is your Dads tow vehicle a truck with Motorola stickers and such on the windows. We see that truck alot at Bad River landing and at McClellands. May be hitting your Dad up for a fishing report before we get out there, he has the latest info.
    Are you going to be at the GTG or ARM event this month?
    Rich

Willeye
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Rich,

The Motorola truck is my dad’s. I think he eats two out of three meals at McClelland’s! Give him a call as I’m sure he’s got something to say about the bite. I won’t be at the GTG this weekend. Just got back from Ireland and need to recharge the batteries and the checking account!

Later,

Curt

Willeye
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Here is another article (from http://www.argusleader.com) on the rising Lake Oahe…

Lake Oahe: ‘Best it’s been in 4 years’

As July 4 nears, Lake Oahe’s water level is 7 feet higher than last year

By Terry Woster

[email protected]

Published: July 3, 2007

PIERRE – Lake Oahe is about seven feet higher than a year ago, and access for anglers and other boaters is the best in four years as the July 4th holiday nears, officials say.

“We’re really back to an access point that’s in decent shape,” Doug Hofer, director of Parks and Recreation for the state Game, Fish and Parks Department said.

With 20 ramp areas open from Oahe Dam just north of Pierre to the North Dakota border on the Missouri River, “It’s about the best it’s been in four years,” Hofer said.

“People should be able to get onto the lake during the holiday and well into the rest of summer.”

The river is probably nearing its high point for the summer, Paul Johnston, a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spokesman from Omaha, said. “The snow melt is done running into the river, and we generally reach the top storage for the season in late June or early July,” he said.

“But the longer we get even the localized rains, the more we’ll be able to keep reduced releases from the dams.”

Releases at Gavins Point, the lowest of six dams on the upper Missouri River, are about 18,000 cubic feet per second, Johnston said.

Normally at this time of year the release rate would be 30,000 feet per second or more, he said.

The water level on Lake Oahe was about 1,583 feet above sea level Wednesday. That’s seven feet higher than at the same period last year.

It’s still well below a normal, long-term operating range of about 1,605 feet, Johnston said. But late-winter forecasts had suggested the lake level would fall through the summer, not rise.

Hofer noted that on March 1, the level of Lake Oahe was five feet lower than it had been at the same time the previous year.

Rising water from runoff and heavy rain and snow along the river basin prompted Hofer to suggest in April that 17 ramps would be in operation during the spring. He anticipated that the lake drawdown after that would leave 12 or 13 ramps in usable condition through the summer.

“If we see equal or see less drop than last year, we’ll be in good shape,” he said then.

But instead of losing ramps, boaters now have access to two that were not available back in 2005: East Whitlock, near Gettysburg, and Lighthouse Pointe, near Pierre.

With 20 ramps open, either for primary service or low-water access, and a lake seven feet higher than a year ago, Hofer said “this has been good in so many ways. It’s really encouraging.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.