Transporting walleye fillets

• David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I have a 3 day trip planned for Lake Oahe, south of Mobridge for the middle of July. After looking at the regulations I could not find anything relating to fish identification for transporting. In Minnesota and depending on where you go, fish have to be left with identifying features like a patch of skin or in the case of Lake of the Woods, the dorsal fins to distinguish between a walleye and a sauger. Are there specific regulations for bring home walleyes from our trip?

thanks

BBKK
    IA

I think just about every state requires a 1″ patch of skin on the fillet to identify it. Never heard of the dorsal fin thing. In any case, you will need 1X1″ piece of skin for transporting in MN.

lov2fish
    central, IA

Was just up there. On lake Oahe you can have 8 fish a day. 4 have to be under 15″. 4 can be 15″ or above and of those 15″ and above one can be 20″ or bigger. You can have a three day posession if you are fishing Oahe. When transporting you can have only one walleye; two filets per bag. You do not have to leave any skin on them. Wish I was going back with you. We caught lots of fish.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

No skin on SD fish. Just keep a gas receipt or something to prove where you’ve been. Two fillets per bag.

Enjoy the trip, I hear the bite is pretty good right now.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Thanks for the clarification. I had the opportunity to fish with then Governor Mickelson in the early 90’s and it was a blast. I am looking forward to returning again as we are fishing the Swan Creek, Morneau river area, south of Mobridge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.