Non-gas power

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Why don’t we see more solar and wind power options on fish houses? On my recent build I added a solar panel to charge the batteries while the house is on the lake. After further review I think I may add a wind turbine as well. Of course I don’t need or want to have a large flat screen in my house, need a radio blaring away, or need a light show flashing away all evening. A couple LED interior lights, some fans to move the heat and a few USB ports to charge phones (and bluetooth speakers) if needed. But a 6V golf cart battery bank ran in parallel for 12V functionality with over 200 Ah is more than enough to supply a long trip. I’m surprised more don’t take advantage of this as opposed to a smell noisy generator.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I always wondered why I never see solar heaters on ice houses. They keep your house warm for free when you are not there. Well around 45 degrees or so depending on how cold it is. Still above freezing. Can be made from empty beer cans and I am willing to help empty those cans for you if needed.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I always wondered why I never see solar heaters on ice houses. They keep your house warm for free when you are not there. Well around 45 degrees or so depending on how cold it is. Still above freezing. Can be made from empty beer cans and I am willing to help empty those cans for you if needed.

I’m in. Let’s empty some “components” and start building.

Coletrain27

i can barely hear my honda 2200 generator from 20′ away while its running and charging my batteries. ill run it for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours before bed. i dont see why everybody makes a big deal about generators running unless your running the non inverter type which yes they are loud as hell. i only go through about 2 gallons of gas for a 3 night trip.

another reason i would not want to be without a generator is if my furnace craps out i can run electric heat in a emergency or if my truck wont start it could be used to jump start that also or plug in the block heater.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Why don’t we see more solar and wind power options on fish houses? On my recent build I added a solar panel to charge the batteries while the house is on the lake. After further review I think I may add a wind turbine as well. Of course I don’t need or want to have a large flat screen in my house, need a radio blaring away, or need a light show flashing away all evening. A couple LED interior lights, some fans to move the heat and a few USB ports to charge phones (and bluetooth speakers) if needed. But a 6V golf cart battery bank ran in parallel for 12V functionality with over 200 Ah is more than enough to supply a long trip. I’m surprised more don’t take advantage of this as opposed to a smell noisy generator.

One easy reason cost. 200AH battery is not going to be enough for houses with tv’s and whatever else. The solar panels and wind generator is not going to recharge fast enough unless you have a vast array. The cheapest solution and least global impact would be to take your battery home each time you leave and charge it at home. Anything you buy to charge on the ice is causing an impact because it is using resorces that would not have to be used to create the product.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

i can barely hear my honda 2200 generator from 20′ away while its running and charging my batteries. ill run it for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours before bed. i dont see why everybody makes a big deal about generators running unless your running the non inverter type which yes they are loud as hell. i only go through about 2 gallons of gas for a 3 night trip.

another reason i would not want to be without a generator is if my furnace craps out i can run electric heat in a emergency or if my truck wont start it could be used to jump start that also or plug in the block heater.

Well to be fair. Any of the noise those damn things make is frustrating and irritating. I remember the days of ice camping prior to everyone having to have a generator. It was so peaceful and beautiful at night. Now it’s like a damn county fair on the ice.

Generators should be banned on the ice.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

One easy reason cost. 200AH battery is not going to be enough for houses with tv’s and whatever else. The solar panels and wind generator is not going to recharge fast enough unless you have a vast array. The cheapest solution and least global impact would be to take your battery home each time you leave and charge it at home. Anything you buy to charge on the ice is causing an impact because it is using resorces that would not have to be used to create the product.

I considered removing mine to charge at home. But what a pain in the ass. And yeah, I know the “I need my soap opera” crowd has to have a big screen for that and another for their livescope.

Coletrain27

Well to be fair. Any of the noise those damn things make is frustrating and irritating. I remember the days of ice camping prior to everyone having to have a generator. It was so peaceful and beautiful at night. Now it’s like a damn county fair on the ice.

Generators should be banned on the ice.

if you can hear mine running then you are way too close to me jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pretty much every shack on the ice runs a generator half the day and the entire night. You would be a pretty rare exception.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well wade I’m on the same page as you. I like that thinking. No more generators on the ice. toast the wheel house guys wouldn’t be able to make the weekend though.

Coletrain27

Pretty much every shack on the ice runs a generator half the day and the entire night. You would be a pretty rare exception.

well its been through 3 winters and only has just over 100 hours on it if you dont belive me. and its been used for more than ice fishing

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well wade I’m on the same page as you. I like that thinking. No more generators on the ice. toast the wheel house guys wouldn’t be able to make the weekend though.

I dread the Christmas Holiday and New Years weekend. A village of yahoos shows up just down from my house on the lake and party hard while they are “fishing” It truly is a circus. Generators, flashing lights, music. I wish they would just stay home. I mean if they want Mall of America and Valley Fair, why don’t they go there?

It used to be people would come to the country to enjoy the peace and quite. Now they bring their chaos with them. It would do them good to punch out of the technology for a few days and attempt to connect with nature.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Spend a little more on insulation and you’ll never hear my Honda, if you even can now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

well its been through 3 winters and only has just over 100 hours on it if you dont belive me. and its been used for more than ice fishing

No I was saying you are the exception. I wasn’t saying your lying

Coletrain27

no I was saying you are the exception. I wasn’t saying your lying

i hear ya, i know alot of people will start there generator when they set up and it wont shut off until they pack up to leave. i have 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries in my shack and once there charged there is really no reason to have it running.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Why are you fishing so close to a crowd?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Why are you fishing so close to a crowd?

Well, as far as I’m concerned if they are on the same lake as me. They are too close.

I used to specialize in hard to get to, out of the way lakes. If I seriously saw just one other person, I was frustrated and “threw that lake away”. The new fish house doesn’t allow for that, unfortunately.

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a panel to use on my fish house. I use very little power in my house since I don’t have a forced air furnace. If I never have to run a generator next to my fish house or camper again I’d be happy. I hate listening to them.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I bought a panel to use on my fish house. I use very little power in my house since I don’t have a forced air furnace. If I never have to run a generator next to my fish house or camper again I’d be happy. I hate listening to them.

How big a panel did you go with? Did you need or install a Solar Panel Charge Controller? Anything you like or dislike?

If I have everything on all at once (which is unlikely) I’m pulling a whopping 126.8 watts/hr, which is about 10.57 amps/hr.

Assuming I’m out there for 6 hours a day with typical intermittent usage. I’d consume around 20.17 watts/hr which is 1.68 amps/hour. That would give me 62.5 hours of usage without recharging the 105 Ah system I currently have installed.

My goal was to have the panel and maybe wind turbine charge the batteries on the house while it’s out on the lake. Especially when I leave it out there.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Because the house would sink/melt into the ice creating a pool under shack . It happens often late season more when sun heats the house, sometimes seen when ppl leave heat on 24/7 also.

brandyman
    West central MN

I have a small solar panel I put in my fish house window. It just maintains the battery during the week and is about enough to keep up with the radio.
    I looked into the windmill thing, but not much return on them and the wind often goes down at night too.
    I am also a fan of not starting the generator unless I have to.

Wade, how big is your panels?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Wade, how big is your panels?

The house came with a 5 watt panel. I mounted that on the exterior wall. 5 watt is the smallest you can use without a charge controller. I figured that would be enough to trickle charge when I’m not using the house. If it is not, I may upgrade to a 50 watt or 100 watt. My goal is to never have to charge the batteries or maybe only charge them once or twice a season at most.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m currently running a pair of group 27 batteries that I use on my pontoon boat (105 Ah). But my plan it to switch over to 6v golf cart batteries. They offer a better deep cycle discharge and provide around 220 Ah. Then I’ll consider going to a bigger panel as well. That should easily satisfy my needs.

If I have everything on all at once (which is unlikely) I’m pulling a whopping 126.8 watts/hr, which is about 10.57 amps/hr.

Assuming I’m out there for 6 hours a day with typical intermittent usage. I’d consume around 20.17 watts/hr which is 1.68 amps/hour.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7610-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_7608-scaled.jpeg

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ll tell ya. I don’t see the appeal to a TV in the fishhouse. I’m off today after a 6 day stretch. Sitting down with my coffee this Am. I’m reminded there is absolutely nothing but trash on that TV (sh!t box).

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:

Because the house would sink/melt into the ice creating a pool under shack . It happens often late season more when sun heats the house, sometimes seen when ppl leave heat on 24/7 also.

That is one great reason.

dbright
    Cambridge

Wade I bought a 100watt portable renogy. It does have a charge controller big enough to add more panels if I end up needing more. I am pretty sure it will be enough for my fish house. My camper will probably end up running 2 or 3 panels. Which I want to permanently mount next summer. My only use was with my camper on a 5 day trip this fall and it did what I needed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

hy don’t we see more solar and wind power options on fish houses?

Great thread to see what ideas are out there.

I don’t have a fish house, but I run an off-the-grid fish camp in the Canadian sub-arctic with solar power and my hunting property is off the grid and will soon run on all solar.

Why don’t we see more solar power? Because it requires a little more thinking rather than just buying a Honda generator and cranking it up full blast.

Also, I don’t think a lot of guys have outdated ideas about solar and don’t believe you can actually power a fish house with solar. They also assume that there’s not enough sunlight in the winter.

Biggest thing I’ve learned about solar is you have to SIZE everything right.

Here’s something many don’t understand:

Even on a full overcast day with no visible sun, my setup in Canada charges at about 25% of capacity. On a sunny day, the batteries are fully charged from their overnight use by about 9:00 AM. On a cloudy day, it takes until about noon. So a properly sized system has plenty of capacity to handle even a full day of dark clouds and rain.

Modern solar panels and charge controllers are SO GOOD that my setup in Canada records charging from the light of a full moon. No joke, even the light reflected off a near-full moon is enough for the solar panels to collect and produce a charge.

So even in the winter, if your solar system is sized correctly, you should be able to change multiple batteries even during short daylight.

The house came with a 5 watt panel. I mounted that on the exterior wall. 5 watt is the smallest you can use without a charge controller. I figured that would be enough to trickle charge when I’m not using the house. If it is not, I may upgrade to a 50 watt or 100 watt. My goal is to never have to charge the batteries or maybe only charge them once or twice a season at most.

5 watt is very, very small for a panel. Not saying it won’t work or you can’t do it, but IMO if you’re getting by with 5W now, you’ll be loving life even at 100 watts.

In Canada I run the following setup and this has been in place for years. This is a super-low-tech setup and it’s been functioning flawlessly for 10 years now.

Solar- Single 200 Watt panel.
    Charge controller – Old style charge controller, not even a MPPT controller although I’ll be upgrading it this summer.
    Battery – 110 Ahr lead acid.

We’re running a lake water pump, all the lights everywhere in camp, and we have a power station for charging devices. I also run a small inverter (200 watts) for devices like power tool battery chargers that don’t run off of 12 volt.

Everything in Canada is 12 volt DC, which has its downsides, but the positive is it’s super-simple.

I’m going to add a separate 800 watt system with MPPT charge controllers and a 2000 watt constant PSW inverter soon. This will give us the ability to run an electric refrigerator, which is currently our biggest “energy hog” because we have to bring propane in with us.

Basically, even if you had to run a TV all day, there’s no reason why you couldn’t have a solar system that would support that. There are online calculators where you can run the numbers.

Just a word about small wind generators. I looked into this because it seemed like with a lake cabin, wind would be a good add-on. Most guys that I have communicated with on forums and FB groups that have actually gone this route say don’t do it. The vibration from the generator is bothersome if you attach it to your house and the power delivered per dollar spent make it a poor value. Across the board, these guys have told me if you need more power, buy more panels or more batteries. Wind power only adds value in very specialized situations where the owner has unusually high and constant winds. The only guy I’ve ran into that has made it successful is on an island in the atlantic off the Scottish coast and he has BIG turbines.

Great topic though.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well, as far as I’m concerned if they are on the same lake as me. They are too close.

I used to specialize in hard to get to, out of the way lakes. If I seriously saw just one other person, I was frustrated and “threw that lake away”. The new fish house doesn’t allow for that, unfortunately.

First off no offence meant but it sounds like your offended anyone else even fishes on YOUR lake. I will also second if you hear my Honda running you sir are to close to me not the other way around. I agree when someone drags out an old 5000 watt gen and has it run all day and night that sucks, but the new ones running on eco mode should not bother anyone. I do agree with Grouse that this is a good topic and if there is a viable, reasonable way to accomplish this i would look into it.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wade Boardman wrote:</div>

First off no offence meant but it sounds like your offended anyone else even fishes on YOUR lake. I will also second if you hear my Honda running you sir are to close to me not the other way around. I agree when someone drags out an old 5000 watt gen and has it run all day and night that sucks, but the new ones running on eco mode should not bother anyone. I do agree with Grouse that this is a good topic and if there is a viable, reasonable way to accomplish this i would look into it.

No offense taken. You nailed it. As a whole, I do not like people. When I am in the woods or on the waters, I do not want to see one other soul. And I darn sure don’t want to hear them or any signs of them. To that point, I just came off a lake that is walk-in only. It’s one of my little honey hole lakes that I go to where I know I’m not gonna have to deal with another person. I was out scouting the ice on a lot of my little lakes all morning. I needed a long morning of no people, society, technology, or the noise associated with them. Now that I know ice conditions, I’ll probably be out there all day tomorrow clearing my head.

As I stated in another post. I’m seriously considering moving to my cabin and becoming a hermit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.