New regulations for Minnesota/Wisconsin pools

• Tim Duggan

Anybody know if the proposed regulation changes will take effect in March of this year or not?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They were talking April.
    I was hoping to hear something at the MN DNR Roundtable but they forget there are border waters in the state. )

Tim Duggan

A Minnesota dnr rep apparently thinks April 1st, but Wisconsin could be making it effective March 1st.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In other words…no one knows for sure.

From the WIDNR:

“Currently stuck in committee. I’m hopeful the new regs will go into effect by April 1 in Wisconsin.”

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

We got word today that the changes have been approved in Minnesota though there are still some procedural steps before implementation.

We got the new regulations approved to be printed in the upcoming regulations book prior to a known implementation date so there will be a statement in the book saying to check the online version for a finalized implementation date (no one will be doing anything illegal by following the new regulations so if you can’t check follow the published ones and you will be fine).

As far as I know the earliest that Wisconsin can have its regulations in place is April 1st, but they have language that will allow them to go into place when Minnesota’s regulations take effect if that date is later.

Both states will be putting out a press release once the implementation date(s) are finalized. I will also make sure to put a post out here once we have finalized dates.

For those in the Rochester area if you have more questions one of our conservation officers and I will be presenting at the Walleye Searchers meeting in Rochester at the Elks Lodge 7:00pm on February 3rd. My presentation will be a quick update of Lake Pepin/Pool 4 fish monitoring numbers and likely some extensive Q&A about populations and regulations. Someone from the club can correct me if I am wrong, but typically the public has been welcome for this meeting.

Thanks,

Nick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.