New Fatty in Town

• B-man

Pleased to see a big one show up just a few days before I can hunt waytogo

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220908-0920343.png

2. Screenshot_20220908-0920273.png

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That would definitely get my heart rate up.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nice Looking bear. Hope he shows up while you are on a stand.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I thought this was going to be a new “Smok’n Meat” thread! bawling bawling jester

CaptainMusky

Holy smokes! How big do you think that is?

mojogunter

I have never eaten any bear meat. Is it very good?

Red Eye

I love venison chops but if I had a choice between a venison chop and a bear chop, I’m grabbing the bear chop every time.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My uncle shot one years ago and gave my family a roast. It made fantastic gravy but the roast itself was terrible. Not even the dog would eat it. All she did was lick the gravy off of it.

That is the only time I had it so my sample size is very limited. I’d give it another try if I had the opportunity. I have to imagine its just like any other big game – it depends how old the animal is and what their diet has been.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

My uncle shot one years ago and gave my family a roast. It made fantastic gravy but the roast itself was terrible. Not even the dog would eat it. All she did was lick the gravy off of it.

That is the only time I had it so my sample size is very limited. I’d give it another try if I had the opportunity. I have to imagine its just like any other big game – it depends how old the animal is and what their diet has been.

I’m with you as it depends animal to animal, and how it was processed/handled.

I’ve had bear that was phenomenal and something I’d choose over venison. Those were also very large bears that had significant fat on them. A neighbor shot what turned out to be a fairly old bear that was somewhat slender. That bear had terrible roasts and should’ve been ground into some sort of sticks.

B-man

Holy smokes! How big do you think that is?

I’m not a bear expert but have killed a couple and have trail cam pics from the years I’ve hunted and killed bears in the 230-240 dressed class (around 300 live)

One of those years I had an absolute woodtick-looking sow with cubs (couldn’t shoot her but saw her multiple times) and she dwarfed the 230 I killed that year.

I’d be really surprised if the bear above would dress out under 400lbs.

Now to be lucky enough to kill it is the trick to really find out lol

As for bear meat, it’s my favorite wild game. The only downside is you can’t enjoy it rare, but it makes killer burger meat, sausage, jerky, etc

Iowaboy1

Well crap, I thought someone was going to say my ex moved.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Living with a butcher friend for a few years gave me the chance to try several kinds of wild animals that people brought in to be processed. Bear meat I won’t eat again, elk was dry & gamey, venison was also gamey but the venison sausage he’d make using the tenderloins was outstanding.

CaptainMusky

I’d be really surprised if the bear above would dress out under 400lbs.

That’s a HUGE B*tch. Forget the movie, but the line applies here. Good luck hope you can get it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Living with a butcher friend for a few years gave me the chance to try several kinds of wild animals that people brought in to be processed. Bear meat I won’t eat again, elk was dry & gamey, venison was also gamey but the venison sausage he’d make using the tenderloins was outstanding.

Not sure if you’re trolling, but if you don’t like venison or elk, you need to learn how to cook it. I had bear once, it was tough, but the sausage was excellent and didn’t need to be cut with anything.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Never been a troll but after watching YouTube’s on cooking wild game, I believe it was how my buddy cooked them that turned me off. He did any game meat in a pan with onions & swimming in butter & cooked them till past being well done..

Looks like you can cook some kinds of game so they are med-rare to medium….

CaptainMusky

Looks like you can cook some kinds of game so they are med-rare to medium….

Yes you can but NEVER undercook Bear. You can get trichinosis and that would be no fun.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Every sentence my eyes got wider. I think tenderloins turned into sausage was really the cherry on top. 10/10 troll if it was.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

He’d get people bringing deer in to process, he’d ask what steaks they wanted, how much ground up… some hunters would say grind everything, no steaks. That’s the time my buddy would take out the tenderloins & keep for himself, which I found being a snotty way to do things. That’s what he ground up & made 5lb chubs of sausage.. every so often he’d bring home 2 of those chubs, I quickly found my fav sausage.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wallyhntr1 wrote:</div>

Every sentence my eyes got wider. I think tenderloins turned into sausage was really the cherry on top. 10/10 troll if it was.

Agree. Maybe the part about the bear was believable but everything after that was absurd. BUT individual preference differs and some people just don’t love wild game.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Never been a troll but after watching YouTube’s on cooking wild game, I believe it was how my buddy cooked them that turned me off. He did any game meat in a pan with onions & swimming in butter & cooked them till past being well done..

Yeah, venison and elk are best on the rare side of medium rare, imo, and can’t be beat. I’d put moose in that category as well.

Good luck on putting that bruiser down BMan!

Red Eye

I’ve shot and eaten 3 bears ranging from 150-300lbs dressed out. I’ve never had a tough steak or bad roast.

When people ask what bear meat is like I describe it as a cross between venison and pork because it does have some fat in it.

As far as Trichinosis goes. You can get it from bear meat but very rare. To eliminate the chance, cook it to 160 degrees or freeze it for 60 days. After the 60 day freeze period I will grill chops a little less. Still not as rare as venison but not to 160 degrees.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Guessing you didn’t see the beast this weekend? Or are you still cleaning it? devil

B-man

Guessing you didn’t see the beast this weekend? Or are you still cleaning it? devil

No sir.

I only have two baits going (a few mile apart), neither were hit over the weekend and not today yet either.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.