It’s official! Sam Keller is a Husker!!

• wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Possibly one of the best QBs in the country, Sam Keller is now a Husker! That sure puts us in great shape for next season and gives the young guys a chance to learn. NICE!

jasonmc
    Participant

I dont know if I would say he is one of the best QB’s. Wasnt he beaten out by a freshman? but I hope he brings something to the table for next year cause Callahan’s Huskers are on the rise!!

GO Hawkeyes!!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

My fingers are going to get tired correcting you guys all the time.

Lindy’s 6th-best quarterback in the nation and “the strongest arm in the Pac-10 Conference”

Phil Steele’s 11th-best QB in the nation

Street & Smith’s best Pac-10 Quarterback

Lindy’s 10th-best QB for the 2007 NFL Draft

ESPN’s 12th-best quarterback for the draft

Last years QB ratings:

1. Carpenter, Arizona State (So): 175
    2. Brohm, Louisville (Jr): 167
    3. Horvath, Northern Illinois (Sr): 159
    4. Quinn, Notre Dame (Sr): 158
    5. Brennan, Hawaii (Jr): 156
    6. Stanton, Michigan State (Sr): 153
    7. Johnson, Utah (Jr): 151
    7. Jacobs, Bowling Green (Sr): 151
    7. Stocco, Wisconsin (Sr): 151
    10. Sam Keller, Arizona State: 146 (tied with your boy Tate at IU)

As you can see, the kid that replaced him is a “decent” player as well. And don’t forget, Keller’s numbers are only from six games last year. He could be SCARY good next year in Lincoln land.

I’d say this all qualifies him as one of the “best” QBs out there.

BTW, I always wish the best for the Hawks, as long as they’re not playing the Huskers.

Time for bed. I’m off to dream about fall Saturdays filled with fishing and football. Does it get any better?

danno34
    Participant

Wheres Cupito Go Goooooooophers

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Who are the Gophers?? GO HUSKERS!!!!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wheres Cupito Go Goooooooophers

Hey, we got your back down here gophers. We’re starting a Nebraskans for Gophers Group now.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

What’s this WE stuff, you got a turd in your pock? GO HUSKERS!!!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Zach, Get with me on this one. WE always support the Minnesotans (they could use our help) because THEY take us fishing for SUMO smallies, eyes, and kitties. Truth is, they’ll always have more water than us, so we try to be nice to them. It’s in our own best interest. Trust me on this one.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Zach, Truth is, they’ll always have more water than us, so we try to be nice to them.

Remember, water is a commodity!!

Todd_NE
    Participant

I venture a guess…. I’m the only grad of the U of Nebraska and U of Minnesota here… that will read this.

And I’ve gotta say, I’ll take a Gopher hockey game over a NU Football game these days!

By the way, we’re now taking guys with one year of eligibility?? Super. At least he’ll be a good scout team passer this year. Maybe he’ll blow a hole through one of the many extra DB’s we have. Hopefully in the next year his teammates don’t ask the coach not to play him like happened at ASU. I mean you can see how we don’t like Prima Donna’s aka Beck. It’s much better to trade a 19 yr old PD for a old PD. Bet Ganz and Hildebrand are thrilled too

I know, I know, it’s all in the name of getting year for Patrick Witt to prepare to be the next Harrison Beck.

Todd

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

That’s stretching this a bit Todd. He’s a SENIOR with pro potential. Should he stay at ASU and sit on the bench? That should really help his draft status. Would you stay if you were him?

He left. He should’ve left in this case. And since he’s leaving and we need another qulaity QB to compete for the starting job next year, why not come to Nebraska?

College football isn’t what it used to be Todd. Take my hand brother. I’ll get you through this.

Todd_NE
    Participant

Yes, I think Keller should have stayed at ASU.

His dad was an NFL player, he was going to get drafted either way. The NFL drafts talent, production, and potential – you think they don’t know him? Brad Johnson rarely/never started in college, Matt Cassell at New England was a USC backup, there are tons of players in the NFL that didn’t start their senior year due to injury, losing the job, coaching run ins. Even ol’ Richie Icognito is going to start for the Rams this year. Think he had issues…. But talent too.

By staying Keller would have come out a year earlier and made money a year earlier.

However, he may not be a mature individual if the charges leveled against him by teammates are true – essentially that he was an exceessive partier and didn’t show up for summer conditioning while the younger QB did. Maybe he’ll find that maturity at NU.

Hey, I’m not saying a QB needs to be loved, Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost proved that.

I don’t know the young man, I actually wish him the best. But I hope the day comes, which it will and probably often, when I have to tell my children something they don’t want to hear but will make them a better person. In other words, “Sam, stick it out this year and work hard in practice. Hopefully good things will happen, either way, you are a better adult for staying at ASU. Get more serious about your game, practice harder and be a better teammate.”

One thing Beck and Keller both have, is a lack of that type of parent.

One thing NU has right now, is a lack of character consideration in recruiting. I consider that character issue to be foremost at the very top of NU Athletics.

They found an extra scholarship laying around pretty quick.

Hopefully it does work, he matures, and we get that bridge to a good young QB. Either way, I’m going fishing or hunting on home games!

By the way, I’m being serious about the scout team, that should be a HUGE help to have a QB that can throw like he can. I wasn’t being sarcastic, hopefully he doesn’t kill a DB with an earhole shot.

I know you are really sincere Wade, I’m glad guys like you are hanging in. I hope you gave a nice check to the remodel too. I tore up a check I had laying on my kitchen table for the project.

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

I hear ya Todd. I respect the value position you’re coming from and I wish it was more like that in today’s college football. It’s hard for me to sit and judge when there are potential millions on the line for these young men.

I try to focus on the positive things that are happening with this team, and for Husker Nation I think Keller’s move is very good news. Welcome to Lincoln Sam!!

Todd_NE
    Participant

Wade,

Talked to a former player today that is not a big fan on all the NU changes. He was a heckuva player too in his day.

However, he was real upbeat about Keller. His thought was that it buys us a year of good QB work and maybe help QB recruiting in the future if he can play well. Not thrilled about guys with one year of eligibility, but… he said this team was also pretty close to disastrous the last two years so any time you can add NFL talent you have to go with any short-term upside. His thought was Ganz was iffy and Hildebrand was unknown, Keller may save 2007.

Interesting take I thought.

By the way, a former center was a good friend of mine in the day when we were in school. Kinda drifted apart, but he had the funniest line of all time a few years back at a home game while we were tailgating.

He was commenting on what a great QB Crouch was and said what a lucky center we had at the time.

Then he commented, “Out of all the great QB’s in the history of Husker football, I got Mickey Joseph, Mickey Freakin’ Joseph. I could of had Gill, Frazier, Ferragamo, Humm, I’d have taken Blakeman, Gdowski, Taylor, nooooooooooo I get Mickey Freakin’ Joseph.”

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

All I can say it that some people (even some ex-players) choose to look at anything happening with UN football as a negative because they’re still bitter about pedey firing frank, and how it all went down. Personally, I’m over it and I’m pumped for this season and pretty excited to see how next year shakes out too.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

OK. I LUV MN!!!! GO GOPHERS!!!!! GO HUSKERS!!!!! The pick-up of Keller is a good thing for Nebraska and I believe it shows that real quarterbacks are looking at our program like they can benefit from being part of it. GO HUSKERS!!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.