Need help Looking for a baitcasting reel with flipping switch

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I am looking for advice on buying a baitcaster with a flipping switch,dont need a high speed one tho,must hold up to trolling for Walleyes. No need to brake the bank on cost either !

TIA Jeff

munchy
    NULL

You wouldn’t happen to be a lefty?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I reel with my right hand on this style reel

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

I reel with my right hand on this stlye reel

Okay, I have a couple left handed Cabelas Prodigys with a flippin switch I’m no longer using. They are decent reels for your needs. I don’t know if they still make them however.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>trumar wrote:</div>

I reel with my hand on this stlye reel

Which hand??

Opps sorry .lol right hand

munchy
    NULL

I reel with my hand on this stlye reel

Which hand??

Opps sorry .lol right hand

I saw you edited as I was replying. See my edited reply above.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Accurist-PT-Baitcast-Reel/product/1310170640261/

Abu Garcia stopped making the budget friendly Silver Max with the flippin’ switch. Still make the Silver Max, just without the flippin’ option. I went around and bought up the leftover inventory at my area stores a few months ago. I also picked up four of these:
    http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Accurist-PT-Baitcast-Reel/product/1310170640261/

I’ve got about a dozen now as they are a big part of my fishing program, but suspect you won’t be able to get the Flippin’ switch on anything much longer as it was explained to me “they just don’t get used by anyone other than walleye fishermen anymore”. I could get about two years heavy use out of a Silver Max before it got tossed in the broken reels/parts box, but the Quantum Accurist seem like they are a grade higher in quality for sure – also almost 2x the cost.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Munchy, do you reel with right hand with those reels ?

Pm me if need to

Thanks Jeff

munchy
    NULL

Pm me if need to

Thanks Jeff

No, Palm with the right hand, reel handle with left. I bought them when I broke my wrist about 10 years ago and couldn’t support a rod with my left hand for over year.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Pm me if need to

Thanks Jeff

No, Palm with the right hand, reel handle with left. I bought them when I broke my wrist about 10 years ago and couldn’t support a rod with my left hand for over year.

Bummer !

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quantum accurists. I have a couple older and new model that are holding up well. I also have a silver max that works but I don’t like the drag system. They just got rid of the flippin switch.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I currently have a Quantum Accurist and a Quantum Energy, both of which are a couple of years old. Both have the flipping switch. They’ve been good reels for me.

zooks

Hadn’t heard that about the Silver Max so I looked on the Abu website, they’re showing the reel with a “Rocket Clutch for one-handed operation”. They have both left and right handed reels in stock direct from the warehouse, might be worth the shipping cost to give it a test run. Hope this helps, good luck.

http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-reels-baitcast-reels-low-profile/abu-garcia-silver-max-low-profile/1373564.html#start=10

Rocket Clutch allows for one handed operation

The latest generation of the Silver Max baitcast reel series incorporates updated styling with advanced ergonomics. Notable advancements include a new Rocket clutch mechanism that gives anglers the ability to engage/disengage the spool with one hand. This feature eliminates the need for anglers to turn the handle for engagement and is perfect for pitching, flipping or back trolling fishing techniques.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Sure enough, flippin’ feature is not gone, just changed to having to hit two different buttons – thumb bar to disengage, that pops up a button where the flippin’ switch used to be, then you have to move your thumb over to push that button back down to reengage the spool. A little cumbersome, but at the $60 price point, may be worth it to try and get used to it. I see backlashes happening to some folks taking their thumb off the spool when disengaged though…

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

@munchy, I’d be happy to take those reels of your hands if you don’t use need them anymore. PM and we can work something out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.