My New Favorite Pheasant Recipe

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

This one is too good not to share. Bear with me, this is long and detailed, but total prep time for me never exceeds about 40 minutes.
    1. Chop up a pound of bacon and put in a small Dutch oven on the stove top. Brown but not terribly crispy,
    2. At the same time, fire up the grill. Super hot. I season 6 boneless breasts with Montreal Steak seasoning and grill for only 30-40 seconds on each side. (enough to get some good grill marks but still pink in the middle.
    3. Remove bacon pieces from pot. Add 3/4 stick of butter, 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped, and 2 chopped garlic cloves. Cook until starting to get brown and aromatic.
    4. Cut up grilled pheasant breasts into chunks. Add pheasant and bacon back into the pot.
    5. Add 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
    6. Add 2 cups of shredded smoked Gouda cheese. (I buy mine in a block and shred it myself)
    7. Simmer on Med. heat for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally until all the cheese is well-melted and pheasant is done all the way through. (Tip – I sometimes stir in a small amount of corn starch to slightly thicken)

I’ve served it with White Rice or mashed spuds. Both are equally good. I’ve also steamed broccoli for something a little healthier.
    Feeds 4 easily. I’ve doubled the recipe for larger groups.

Give it a shot. You won’t regret it!

slough

Sounds yummy, although I think I got fatter just reading it lol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The recipe is so good he posted it twice! Ill have to try it.

PS. We made pheasant chili last weekend from this starter kit and it was awesome. Ate it 3 days straight and still wanted more. It is NOT white sauce chili like the name implies. It has tomatoes and is red like regular chili.

Attachments:
    1. chili.jpg

CaptainMusky

That sounds amazing now I just need to find 3 pheasants to shoot and try it! My son got his first ever last week and I smoked it with various of my goto seasonings and it was fantastic.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Everything is better with bacon, isn’t it?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Edit to my OP. I only chop up a 1/2 pound of bacon in the single batch. The whole pound when I do a double batch!

ThunderLund78

I imagine you could do this with 4 Chicken breasts if you don’t have Pheasants – sounds like a winner – and I’m done shying away from pork and milk fat. It’s the hydrogenated fats that get ya and I see none of those here!

KP
    Hudson, WI

I tried this recipe last night and it was amazing! I added some mushrooms to it and a bit more garlic but the pheasant turned out very tender. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.