Motor repair suggestions

• sbr_it

Any recommendations on where to take a motor that no one can appear to get working?

Older 15hp Johnson that I had in twice that ended up being all summer long last year at Universal. Issue was it would just bog down at full throttle. Took it out early this year and problem ended up not being fixed.

Took it in to Al’s then after that about a month ago. Just took it out now this morning after getting it back and it runs fine in neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear it shuts down. This getting to be a rather frustrating issue. I suppose I should probably just drop by Al’s again and let them know, but I’m just at a loss with it now.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Andy, what was done at these places as far as fixes/repairs? Anyone rebuild the carb? Replace fuel filter? And what color is the fuel line between the tank and engine?

sbr_it

Andy, what was done at these places as far as fixes/repairs? Anyone rebuild the carb? Replace fuel filter? And what color is the fuel line between the tank and engine?

Unfortunately, I have not kept the slips like I realize I should have. Last year other than a spring that was replaced I honestly don’t think Universal did anything. Al’s I now replaced the spark plug and something else, but can’t remember.

Black hose from the tank to motor.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One of my 20 horse johnsons was doing what you describe and I put a kit in the carb and that took care of the problem. This motor had been in a couple shops and I was told there wasn’t anything wrong, but on the boat there was an issue. New bulb, new fuel line. New fuel filter and plugs. I finally realized that the shops have pressurized fuel systems using air pressure at a higher rate than a bulb can deliver was likely forcing enough fuel thru a dirty carb that the motor ran ok in a test tank. The bulb didn’t deliver enough constant pressure at a higher rate that the shop’s fuel lines used to keep fuel flowing inside the carb. Once kitted the started and ran like a chief.

This is the direction I would go. Take it back to Al’s and ask to have the carb rebuilt. Have them check the reed plate at the same time and if its sloppy replace it too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.