07/06 Minnesota River near St. Peter

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey guys, I posted this in the Species Specific forum as well:

Went out Friday after work and drove down to St. Peter to chase flatheads and channels. I stopped off at Moore’s on the way to pick up some bullheads from Bob.

We got down to our favorite ‘honey hole’ around 7PM and immediately set up with cutbait to try to get a little action. Ask and ye shall receive! Both my buddy and I immediately caught a softshell turtle. These buggers would not leave our cutbait alone! Shortly after we caught the turtles, we started to get the gar. Now I have never caught one of these before, so I was a bit impressed on catching the first one. My buddy Joe rolled his eyes on predicted “One of those ‘gar and turtle’ nights”.

I kept at it and was rewarded with this on cutbait:

We kept plugging away at it and caught some nice 3-4lb channels for our troubles. At about dark we switched over to bullheads. I caught a 14.5lb (possible PB) channel on my first bullhead. No picture for this one as the temp was dropping and there was condensation on everything, including the camera phone lens. Joe could not figure out why the camera wouldn’t focus. Turns out there was a drop of water on the lens!

We left some bullheads out there and waited and had some beverages. At about 1:30, my clicker got a run and Joe’s bell started ringing at the same time. We got a two-fer and each caught another small flat. The action was almost constant and we were both surprised at the flatheads being caught on the spawn. Can’t wait to get back down there in a couple weeks when the big girls are eating again!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thats a good spot I fished there as a highschooler when I lived that way. Nice to see it stil is going strong!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.