Upper Mississippi River SMB??

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Thinking about trying the upper Mississippi River for SMB tomorrow for the first time in the Winter…We have Summer fished the stretch from Monticello to Elk River and are a little familiar with the river.

I was wondering if most of the river ice free between these sections?? Also, would the area near the Monticello discharge be an area to key on?? Other general areas to key on??

Any bait shops near the area that would have medium size sucker minnows??

Appreciate any info you could share.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

The fishing up there can be fun. You will not be alone though, my brother fly fishes that section a fair amount and some days it can get pretty packed with people. There is a small bait shop in downtown Monticello. Don’t recall the name but they should have small suckers.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Be safe………..ice and freezing water is bad whether the river is 3 feet deep or 50 feet deep. If you go to Hwy 10 and go to Ebners bait they will have the info you need.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Go to the power plant…

Shhh….

Dog

dbright
    Cambridge

I have been kicking around pulling the boat out of storage and running up there tomorrow. With the snow and rain Sunday I’m sure it will be awhile before i get the chance again.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

From where I have fished up there from shore would a boat even be able to navigate those waters? Seems extremely shallow through the whole stretch. I was planning on heading up myself I’ll PM ya if I do. Seems the afternoon bite would be good if that snow is to come.

dbright
    Cambridge

It is definitely runnable with a jet.

dbright
    Cambridge

Boats hooked up and batteries charging. If anyone that is heading up tomorrow what’s to fill a open seat send me a pm

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Thanks for everyone’s feedback…If we decide to go I will report back.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Pls do that I am pretty interested how a boat will handle up there.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I was up there about 6 weeks ago. Saw two different boat run up the river. I couldn’t see if they were jet outboards but I’m guessing that would be a good idea.

Lots of guys fishing from shore and wading with the usual number of idiots. The guys who walk into the river below you, work up stream, and then cast right in front of you. That happened twice. Fortunately there was a lot of river so I could get away from them. The guys having the best luck were still fishing small Suckers right on the bottom.

Good luck!

Rootski

kris_brantner
    My river

How well would a mud boat get around up there

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Quote:

The guys having the best luck were still fishing small Suckers right on the bottom.

Good luck!

Rootski

Were they using bobbers with suckers or just a hook + sinker??

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Slip sinker rig with a short leader, maybe a foot or so. I saw a few Smallies as well as several very nice Walleyes landed.

As you might guess I was fly fishing, and managed to snag a 15 pound carp. That was a handfull!

dbright
    Cambridge

If any of you guys see me out there tomorrow in my alweld with a yamaha obj flag me down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.