New to MN River Shore Fishing, Where to Start?

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

As the title implies I want to start fishing the Minnesota River and I am wondering how do I get started. I guess I should start by saying I live out by Waconia and would imagine I would find myself shore fishing somewhere between Chaska and Henderson. Are there public lands or fishing spots available to the public along this stretch of river? Are there areas I could safely bring my kids with me? I really want to get them out fishing. Sold my boat last summer, but still need to scratch the itch and want to make sure my kids get as much exposure to the outdoors as possible. I am strictly catch and release, I like the sport, but in reality I am too lazy to clean fish. If you have any information to share or wouldn’t mind someone tagging along let me know. I am open to all species.

I grew up shore fishing and wader fishing in Northern Indiana on the St. Joseph (St. Joe) for redhorse, channel cats, smallmouth and steelhead. Have yet to fish a river other than the Crow River in the 10 years that I have lived in MN.

Not sure if there are many Minnesota River guys on IDO, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Jason

mrwalleye
    MN

Sweet little spot off of 1st st. and Ash st. in Carver that has some trails and a good current seam that holds Cat’s and walleye’s

Good Luck and don’t forget the bug spray

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey. Lots of public areas off of 169 in that area. Check out the MN Valley Rec Area near Jordan. There is also one near LeSeuer that I forget the name of.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Quote:

Hey. Lots of public areas off of 169 in that area. Check out the MN Valley Rec Area near Jordan. There is also one near LeSeuer that I forget the name of.

I also don’t remember the LeSeuer accesses name but I know you come to it off of 169 heading into town. I catfish down there pretty often. Great area, river is really low so it should be really good this year!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.