Great Galloping Gobs of Gizzard Shad Batman!

• drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I experienced something tonight I had not before. Stopped at Blackdog to do a little walleye casting just before dark. The water at and around the discharge was alive with shad. You could not cast a crank or hop a lure through the water without constantly bumping shad. And people were down there gathering the shad with dip nets and filling buckets. I did not get a single hit other than snagged shad; but all a walleye would have to do is open its mouth and inhale to catch dinner. It was crazy thick with them things.

dd

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have drilled holes through the ice before to find a die off in the numbers you just described. When rotten dead shad bubble through an ice hole you better hope your breakfast is not sitting close to your throat

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Smelly jelly 3x brett

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

And people were down there gathering the shad with dip nets and filling buckets.
    dd

What were people going to do with the shad?

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

From what I could gather they were people from Eastern Europe and they were going to consume them. Maybe they are good pickled or smoked like herring?

dd

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

Fished a MN river backwater for an hour this afternoon and the shad were everywhere. Hundreds of feet of shoreline looked like the pictures below.

That’s a cool sight. We saw that once fishing by the Pigs Eye treatment plant in February. It was cool until we realized how are we ever going to catch a fish with all these baitfish around.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.