MN DNR Wolf Management Plan

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Last night

Attachments:
    1. BE5FCF6E-D404-49EA-9510-AF2471D27340.jpeg

Buffalo Fishhead

Grouse, with all due respect, the DNR will deny the resident mountain lions until they are blue in the face. The reason being is they were BROUGHT here in a good amount of numbers intentionally to reduce the deer population essentially forced by insurance companies. They constantly say they are young males, yet there was a roadkill South of Bemidji that was a breeding age female just a few years ago.
    [/quote]

CaptionMusky:

I think you need a MUCH bigger tinfoil hat!

Buffalo Fishhead

CaptainMusky

Well it was a short run for the cougar

That would do some good damage I am sure. I wonder how long it had been around the area? It seems as though there were reports for several weeks. Interesting to see all the confirmed sightings following the Minnesota River valley. THere was one photo’d on the roof of a garage in Pequot Lakes a few years ago, but havent heard anything recently so probably migrated away. It was about a block from my parent’s house.

Red Eye

This is a picture from last summer. Wadena county. My neighbors run a sizable beef operation. Have dealt with the growing wolf population for a long time. They seen more wolves last summer than they ever had before. Missing calves, cows missing tails and lame cows and bulls with there knees and ankles chewed on. They have donkeys in every pen/pasture that they have cattle. The donkey’s definitely help. But there’s only one solution to a wolf problem.

Attachments:
    1. 86C9205F-1A83-44A3-A3FF-F128862585B1-scaled.jpeg

2. 18896423-53DB-4E69-A8AC-1C622C8ABC5E-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

This is a picture from last summer. Wadena county. My neighbors run a sizable beef operation. Have dealt with the growing wolf population for a long time. Missing calves, cows missing tails and lame cows and bulls with there knees and ankles chewed on. They have donkeys in every pen/pasture that they have cattle. The donkey’s definitely help. But there’s only one solution to a wolf problem.

That second pic is pretty cool. Almost as if it knew something was going on and got caught in the action.

Red Eye

And as to the theory about coyotes and wolves living together. The day I drove into the hayfield to check this cam I actually chased s coyote off the field in broad daylight.

orve4

I grew up in central Minnesota not far from fort Ripley and the thing I have learned is if the DNR wants something to expand or the herd to get bigger it usually starts in that area. Around 25 years ago turkeys in central Minnesota were almost non existent then they started to appear out in the hills by my uncles house and the population has exploded.

Same thing happened about 20 years ago with the wolves you never seen a wolf then we heard about sightings out in the same area not far from the camp and the population has grown larger and larger especially in that area. I have had friends who have been hunting and have A DNR truck pull in and drop off of collared wolfs.

On a separate note we own land south of Wadena around 240 acres that we only deer hunt and mange it to deer hunt. Our trail cameras pick up pictures every year and they usually move on within a week. This year they have stayed around and have started hunting foot plots for the little fawns.

I think the population is expanding and their zone is expanding. A lottery for hunting and tracking should be done or allow landowner one a year. Either way if the DNR wants something to flourish it will example one Turnkey.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Either way if the DNR wants something to flourish it will example one Turnkey.

Turkeys are an amazing success story here. They are very adaptable birds.

However, I don’t think that wolves will continue to expand their range into every corner of the state. Primarily because there is not enough food or open space. I think they’re pretty much at the edge of their range which is essentially where the timber line ends and the crop production starts. I don’t foresee a pack of wolves living around Mankato or Worthington in the future. Or in the Twin Cities metro region either.

Which brings up another point: every time a judge puts them back on the Endangered Species List, one of the reasons they cite for doing it is that “they haven’t expanded back to their original range.” Well no chit they haven’t. And any fool can see that they aren’t ever going to again. That’s the part I can’t quite wrap my head around.

tswoboda

Which brings up another point: every time a judge puts them back on the Endangered Species List, one of the reasons they cite for doing it is that “they haven’t expanded back to their original range.”

Waiting for Elk, Bison, and Caribou to also expand back to their original range jester

Attachments:
    1. b16.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Waiting for Elk, Bison, and Caribou to also expand back to their original range

LOL chyeah right

CaptainMusky

I never knew what the historical range of the timberwolf was until I looked it up. Essentially ALL of the lower 48 with the exception of the coast of California. Lets introduce them to the coast of california and maybe it will fall off into the ocean for good.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.