Mississippi Refuge rules?

• Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Thinking since I have to leave Northern MN and visit the in-laws for Thanksgiving I may try and squeeze in a late season diver hunt on the Mississippi. I must admit as an avid waterfowler who is used to Waterfowl Production Areas and Refuges the Upper Mississippi Refuge system perplexes me.

Is it easier to understand on the ground as opposed to the websites and OnX and satellite maps?

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’d probably hunt Pool 8 as opposed to pool 7. Looking primarily for late season Cans and other divers.

popcorn
    Participant

Here’s a link to the refuge maps, refuge specific regulations can also be found on the website. Paper copies are usually available at federal boat ramps as well as a few other pamphlets. I’d recommend studying maps before going and scouting during the day before hunting. You’ll find out pretty quick that the maps don’t look the same on the ground due to the ever changing river system. I’d like to emphasize that the river is not a place to explore in the dark especially now that it’s getting cold and wear your life jacket.

Now that safety is covered get out there and have fun.

https://www.fws.gov/library/collections/upper-mississippi-river-pool-maps

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Yeah I used to spend a ton of time fishing the back waters down there. It’s definitely a daylight game.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Thanks for the info Popcorn. I printed all the USFWS maps in color and can now compare them (and/or review side by side) with my OnX maps. No wonder you need these. They will be invaluable. Looks like the USFWS is trying to set hunters up for failure with random pockets of this and that everywhere.

popcorn
    Participant

No problem, I’ve been in your shoes before. I wouldn’t say that they’re setting anyone up for failure as everything is signed pretty well as far as the no hunting areas go. What’s tough is seeing the signs in the dark when you’re not exactly where you thought you were. OnX has everything marked too but it’s not as clear as I’d like it to be on the app. Maybe I need to play with it some more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.