Minn kota terrova questions

• Greg G.

Hey everyone, new to this site and this is my first post. i’m hoping to get a couple questions answered. I just finished installing a new Minn Kota Terrova 24v 8olb with 60″ shaft MDI/I pilot link on my boat. first question is, does anyone know if there is a cable available that i can hook up the MDI from the trolling motor and the MDI transducer cable from the stern transducer to my Helix 7 G4N at the same time. (y cable). I see Minn Kota has a y cable for side imaging but cant find anything for down imaging. I would not be using both transducers at the same time but i am trying to avoid having to switch them out everytime i want to use one or the other.
    Question 2 is: when using the spot lock is the motor speed adjustable when it engages or does it only engage on high to move the boat into position quickly. My neighbor has this same motor and when he is spot locked in shallow water the prop blows a lot of sand and mud everywhere when it kicks in. Thanks and i look forward to your replies.

slough

Not sure on #1 but for #2, I do not believe you can adjust the speed once you hit spotlock. But I haven’t noticed the speed going too crazy unless you’re being blown away or pushed by current.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You could raise the bow mount up while in shallow water so it doesn’t constantly blow mud or sand.

B-man

Not too sure about your first question, but if you have two graphs networked with two transducers hooked up you can change which ducer is active. How that works with one graph I’m not sure.

For your second question there is a setting somewhere that changes the reactiveness of your spot lock.

It relates to boat size. If you set it for a smaller boat it will start out with less power and not react so abruptly.

Onthewater

The spotlock speed ramp up is adjustable with the boat scale setting. Turn it to -2 and it will reduce the force considerably. Also try to have the boat close to a stop before hitting spotlock so it doesn’t need to move itself back so far

Greg G.

Thanks, these are all good tips, i remember seeing something pertaaining to boat size with a adjustment from -2 to +2 with 0 being nuetral. maybe adjusting this will help him. everything is a problem to him as he doesnt try to find a solution. his boat is a bit heavier than mine but i will suggest he try the scale adjustment.

Karry Kyllo

On question #1, there is a switch available that allows switching from one transducer to another. Look up Humminbird “transducer switch”.

stevenoak

On question #2. If I’m fishing in that shallow of water a lot. I opt for a spike pole. Spot lock will spook anything close. Especially without wind or current to hold one direction. Thing I picked up fishing the gulf.

Umy
    South Metro

I use spot lock alot.
    Was not aware there was a setting that changes the “reactiveness” of the start of spot lock.
    I like to be at a stop or as close as possible when I use it as it does tend to over prop to get itself where it thinks it needs to be.
    It always goes to the setting I have it on after that. I usually fish with the prop on 1/2 to 1 when in shallower, calmer waters as you hardly notice it running then.
    Thanks for the tip on settings. I will be looking into that.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Greg there is a legacy setting for your Terrova. You access it on your remote. I had the same issue with my motor going full throttle when I would spotlock. I thought it was because I fish the river but evidently changing this setting ramps the motor up slower. Also you can play around with the scale and match it to the size of your boat. Give that a try at least, it seems to have worked for me but I only found out about it late fall.

dirtywater

Greg there is a legacy setting for your Terrova. You access it on your remote. I had the same issue with my motor going full throttle when I would spotlock. I thought it was because I fish the river but evidently changing this setting ramps the motor up slower. Also you can play around with the scale and match it to the size of your boat. Give that a try at least, it seems to have worked for me but I only found out about it late fall.

I thought the “legacy mode” setting referred to ipilot, not spotlock? the legacy mode makes a more gradual adjustment to maintain a course toward the original heading, while the “advance” mode makes drastic corrections (like a sudden 90 degree turn to get back on the exact line you were on.) If there is a legacy mode for spotlock as well, I stand corrected on that. I haven’t had any issues with my spotlock making big moves.

Greg G.

Thanks, I will keep these in mind when i get this motor in the water and start figuring it out. I’ve seen the legacy and advance modes on the remote but havent gotten to figure that out yet. this may save me another forum question..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.