Metro ice?

• dirtywater

Is there any? Looking for 6” or so to test out some studded tires on my mountain bike. Be curious to know if lakes like nokomis or Harriet are still holding anything?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Be curious to know if lakes like nokomis or Harriet are still holding anything?

They cancelled the pond hockey ice tournament a week ago on Nokomis. I don’t know what that tells you but it’s been a warm week and temps were 55 on Wed. I’d look elsewhere to be honest at this point.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

There’s some fishable ice around but it’s sketchy and inconsistent. I wouldn’t be going out exploring without checking every few feet personally

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>
    Be curious to know if lakes like nokomis or Harriet are still holding anything?

They cancelled the pond hockey ice tournament a week ago on Nokomis. I don’t know what that tells you but it’s been a warm week and temps were 55 on Wed. I’d look elsewhere to be honest at this point.

Yeah I did hear that. Although inviting hundreds of people out at once for an official event has a pretty high level of liability so I didn’t want to necessarily read too far into that.

I was thinking of sticking along the shoreline if I went, not riding across the lake. Would bring my spikes of course .

Ripjiggen

I was on 12 inches last week in south metro doubt it’s gone in a week.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was on 12 inches last week in south metro doubt it’s gone in a week.

Checking ice yesterday, I don’t think we lost much at all. It got a little softer looking but we still were pushing 10 to 11 in the Chisago area

OG Net_Man

The ice looks like sh!t in the south metro. I went north… I was up on Mille Lacs up by Agate Bay yesterday. 2 spots which one was around 14″ and the next not far away was 11″.

tim hurley

Ice is pretty tough unless their is warm rain, not drizzle, or brief showers, rain. When the sun gets stronger of course some the the shallows become an issue.

Brittman

In early Feb the daylight hours are still under 10 hours.

The sun is still relatively low in the sky.

It has been cloudy much of the time.

Early March is a different story …

TipUpFishOn

Fished north end of Harriet yesterday, still had a solid 8” 150 yds from shore.

tim hurley

Late in the season I safely walk on ice even 10 days before it goes out, some on this site its more like a week. Like to bet the ice does not go out in 10 days?
    Ice creates its own micro climate, so if its 50 degrees out, that does not mean its 50 at the ice. Was out today and pretty sure I will be out next week too.

Deuces

S10 out on east rush

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

S10 out on east rush

I was on rush yesterday. I definitely wouldn’t suggest driving anything bigger then a s10 out there

dirtywater

Thankfully my mountain bike weighs less than one wheel of an S10 devil

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Hoping to get out this week.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You can pull my portable fish house out for me and see how those tires work and get a good workout too boot. LOL

tim hurley

Was a bit outside the metro, same lake I was on last week-we lost at least an inch of ice in just a week. Nothing eats it like warm rain. Access looked iffy too, like run-off had taken a toll-what I would expect to see in March.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lakes are pretty solid from what I’m seeing. First lake had 7 inches was 8 last week. And the lake I’m on now has 9. We are hiking and it feels like I’m pulling nothing on this smooth glare ice

tim hurley

Yup, was safe and easy travel if you are on foot, way easier than last year.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Seeing more people out on tonka lately. Glare ice looks nice for pulling by hand. Have to be in San Diego for work next week but hoping to get out next weekend

Gregg Gunter

Found 9” of clear ice north of metro. Where does north metro end? Glare ice, needed spikes but easy pulling. Did not find fish. I mostly was trying new Mega Live. I was the only one on a big lake. That should of told me something lol.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Prior Lake

Attachments:
    1. Prior-Lake.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Prior Lake

Here’s the story on that specific house. They actually think its “floating” because its gone up and down in the water lol

OG Net_Man

Yes, this years ice conditions will offer up a lot of education possibilities for those that are able to learn….

There are a lot of lakes in the metro area but the couple that I looked at in the south metro had shoreline access problems. Maybe I could have looked harder for access but I was behind on exploits to the North.

With some cleats on it has been a pleasure to walk out dragging the portable this year. With these ice conditions fewer people have been out and for me this is almost like a dream come true. I will gladly keep my retractable house at home for these trade offs.

Deuces

Cedar in New Prague had about 20ish yards of open water on the north end.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.