Metro Crappie Fishing – My Process

• Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I’ve been having a good time on metro area lakes lately fishing for crappie and I thought I’d share my process in hopes that it helps someone out.

Pre-Trip:
    – use the MN Lakefinder Tool to find a body of water that has above average quantity and above average size for a metro lake.
    – pull up the navionics app to get a sense of the lake and to pick a starting point, I’ve been targeting basin crappie so I’m looking for water from 25-35 feet and virtually no depth change, or if it’s a shallower lake I’m looking for the deepest basin water.
    – rig rods with baits that target fish with differing aggression levels. This trip I had 6 rods ready to go.
    Rod 1 – small tungsten fly (least aggressive)
    Rod 2 – 1/32oz jig and plastic
    Rod 3 – 1/16oz flutter style spoon
    Rod 4 – small slab rap
    Rod 5 – small ripping rap
    Rod 6 – small jigging rap (most aggressive)

Fishing Trip:
    – walk out to my predetermined starting point.
    – drill a series of 10 holes in a straight line, each hole 20-30 feet from the previous hole.
    – walk back to the sled, pull the sled while checking each hole for fish with the flasher, swinging the transducer in each hole to determine if there are fish off to the sides and in which direction.
    – repeat the 10 hole process until you find them, in the last 3 trips I’ve found them in my 2nd hole, my 15th hole and today it took me 43 holes.
    – after finding them drill several holes around the perimeter of your hot hole
    – start dropping down baits from the most aggressive bait you have to the least, make sure to fish above your targets so that you don’t spook the school by pulling a fish through it, by starting with the most aggressive bait I can catch the super charged up fish right away and because the baits get down quickly I can keep the school interested, as soon as I raise a fish and it rejects my bait I move down to the next bait, it’s common for me to catch a few on the ripping rap and slab rap, the flutter style spoon has been the most effective so far, but I’ve caught a few on the jig and plastic and fly jig as well, I just added the jigging rap to the arsenal and because of how quickly it sinks I consider it my most aggressive, I haven’t caught anything on it yet but I did get two bites with it today.
    – often times the hole will reload with new fish as you are fishing so I’ll rotate back to the aggressive baits and start the process over again.
    – if your hole dries up try swinging your transducer in the hole to see if you find where they went, if not start hopping around in your perimeter holes until you get back on them.

I hope that helps someone and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Nice write up with some solid tactics described.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good advice. Just what this site is noted for. Thanks. waytogo

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the best write ups ever.

Good job and thank you

tim hurley

Those of you who submit videos to this site-READ RYANS POST! It provides actual facts not just reeling in fish to weird music!

tacklebox2tn

Excellent reading, great outline to fish with. thanks

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Can you call me when you find the fish and I will help you catch them?

Thanks for the solid info!

Brian

Great info, thanks! Have you had pretty consistent ice conditions everywhere you went?

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Can you call me when you find the fish and I will help you catch them?

Thanks for the solid info!

Ha, sometimes it takes a lot more work to find them on ice but it is rewarding when you do. You’re welcome!

Great info, thanks! Have you had pretty consistent ice conditions everywhere you went?

No, not consistent at all. The lake I fished yesterday had between 6″ and 10″ in all of the spots I drilled. But I had a buddy on another lake that said he encountered a few spots that only had 4″ of ice where he was at.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Those of you who submit videos to this site-READ RYANS POST! It provides actual facts not just reeling in fish to weird music!

Thanks, I contemplated adding photos but was not sure if they would be helpful at all.

Excellent reading, great outline to fish with. thanks

You’re welcome!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Thanks for the write up, I enjoy these. What I learned from your post is I need to not be afraid to try new strategies, my fishing is similar to yours but I always start with the small tungsten and work my way to the aggressive baits. I need to not be afraid to try it the other way and hopefully gain some confidence.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks for the write up, I enjoy these. What I learned from your post is I need to not be afraid to try new strategies, my fishing is similar to yours but I always start with the small tungsten and work my way to the aggressive baits. I need to not be afraid to try it the other way and hopefully gain some confidence.

The advantage of fishing the most aggressive bait first is you can fish fast and pick off the most aggressive fish first before they move. After things slow on the aggressive baits I can almost always pick off a few more fish with the less aggressive baits. Deep basin crappies tend to move around a lot. You almost can never find them the next day where they were at the day before.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

X2
    Great write up Ryan.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

The advantage of fishing the most aggressive bait first is you can fish fast and pick off the most aggressive fish first before they move. After things slow on the aggressive baits I can almost always pick off a few more fish with the less aggressive baits. Deep basin crappies tend to move around a lot. You almost can never find them the next day where they were at the day before.

Not sure if this is my own thoughts, if someone told me, or what. But I always thought if I dropped down something too big and aggressive right away, I could scare the school off. If I started small and worked up, eventually I might find what they want. Either way, I’ll certainly give your method a few tries!

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Not sure if this is my own thoughts, if someone told me, or what. But I always thought if I dropped down something too big and aggressive right away, I could scare the school off. If I started small and worked up, eventually I might find what they want. Either way, I’ll certainly give your method a few tries!

As long as you don’t drop the bait down through the school you should see the aggressive fish move towards the bait. I’m generally staying at least 2’ above the top mark and working them up from there. If anyone is interested they will usually come up quickly.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Nice write up! I’m going to give this a try on Saturday. If you had to pick, is there a time of day you prefer to start the search process?

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Nice write up! I’m going to give this a try on Saturday. If you had to pick, is there a time of day you prefer to start the search process?

I haven’t really noticed one time of the day being better than any other. Just have to be prepared to put the work in. If I get to choose I’d fish from sunup to after sunset but those are rarely the cards I am dealt!

When you find fish in your 2nd hole you feel like a genius, but when you find fish in the 43rd hole you wonder if you know what you are doing at all.

If the survey says they are in there then they are in there. Just keep working at it.

This latest trip I didn’t punch my first hole until after 11am and I was walking off the lake around 2pm. Caught over 30 and left a hole that was stacked with them. But remember it took me over an hour of punching holes and searching to get on them.

Good luck this weekend, I hope you pound them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.