Medicine Lake

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I am going to be up north for the first time in my life next week (at least this far north) I will be staying in blackduck and have some friends staying on Medicine lake. What kind of fishing should I expect. I am hoping to pack light and not have to bring all my tackle boxes and rods and reels. I know I would like to catch some pike, walleye and panfish/ perch. Any of you have some tips for me? I am not normally a lake fisherman either so tips on areas to look for the fish would be great too… I know on the river in SD where to look, not so much what the scene is like in northern MN. Thanks in advance!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well if you’re staying in Blackduck area north of Bemidji, beautiful area with remote feeling. No need to bring the whole tool box but 2-3 rod/reel combos. Maybe just 2 if you’re limited on what you want to bring. Medium setup will cover you for pike and walleye. Spinner/spinnerbaits, spoons worked over and around weed beds should bring plenty of action but probably smaller pike though. Still fun for action! Setup will work for walleye but rigging live bait tactics will be the transition you’d need to prepare for. Light/ultralight setup for perch and panfish. Small (ice jigs) work great and use wax worms with either fixed or slip bobbers depending on depth. Perhaps not a trophy lake, but should be able to find a lot of action.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.