Lx7 help

• Branden Doyle

Just got this unit. Got on some ice to day in about 9’ of water. Lots of weeds below. I had such a hard time picking up my 5mm jig. Or even a spoon. What are some basic settings to start with. Any input would be great I feel this thing don’t work feel in shallow water

rippinfish

Did you install the latest firmware update,5.10 I believe it makes it work better in shallow water

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Make sure your using the wide beam and not narrow beam

Branden Doyle

Did you install the latest firmware update,5.10 I believe it makes it work better in shallow water

I have not I would think in 9’ I wouldn’t need too

Tom Dace

As stated above, make sure you have the latest software update. The gain curve is much better in that update than in other ones. It was a good unit before but with the update it is much, much better.

This is what I advise people to set it at when starting out…it sort of follows what Marcum suggests but in my opinion is more fool proof and will keep you in check until you get a better feel for this type of unit.

-Mode 1 for anything under 10ft
    -Mode 2 for anything deeper
    -Set ping rate at 1. This slows it down. Since you are stationary you don’t need to fiddle around with getting a quicker reading. It is already pretty quick in 1. If you put it on a boat where you will be moving you’d want it set higher. Leave it at one to keep consistency on the ice.
    -Manual dynamic or manual. Stay out of auto dynamic. That has a ton of potential but it can jump around a bit.
    -Start with everything at “0” in terms of sensitivity, target adjust, and IR.
    -Adjust only one of those things at a time. Start with sensitivity to pick up bottom and bump it up until you see your jig. Use target adjust to fine tune. That is important…ONLY ADJUST ONE THING AT A TIME. You might be tempted to start hitting all sorts of buttons and that can throw you way off of these base settings so go with sensitivity first.
    -To start I’d go with the 8 degree cone even in shallow water. Once you pick up your jig widen it out to 20 degrees. Find your jig first then proceed.

Other suggestions…
    -You do not need to have your transducer below the ice. Let it ride high in the hole. I run mine so the bottom of the transducer is maybe half an inch below the water surface.
    -Set your background on “night” so it is all black and you can bump the brightness down. This will prolong battery life.
    -The 6 color palette is awesome. Use it.

Random thoughts…. There is a learning curve with them but if you can use a smartphone you can use one of these things. Once you get your preferred settings down they are simple to use. On my screen I run a vertical zoom, a vertical depth (like the showdown) and the entire water column in a graph. I never use the traditional flasher dial. The graph gives you a history you can refer back on. A round dial does not. Once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to pick up a single fart bubble from a minnow 85 feet down.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

The latest update is solid, I was fishing 2 feet down in 3-4 fow today and had no problem seeing my tiny tungsten.

Attachments:
    1. 87BAE452-EC3D-4BA2-A5A7-09F53B4B2BE7.jpeg

Branden Doyle

Where u get the cord to do it. I’m disappointed that it’s brand new and the firmware is outdated. And now I got spend More cash to update.

Tom Dace

Where u get the cord to do it. I’m disappointed that it’s brand new and the firmware is outdated. And now I got spend More cash to update.

The software update can be downloaded off of Marcum’s website for the rock bottom price of $0. It’s a free download. The USB cord can be found pretty cheap if you don’t already have one. I’d look around in your home before buying one. I had half a dozen of the cords that work with mine.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

You bought a new unit thats been sitting on the shelf of a retailer for a while it sounds like if its got the old software on it. Not Marcum’s fault, it was brand new when it left there factory. Happens all the time in retail and the electronics world. If its that big of a deal, bring it to there facility and they will fix anything going on with it for you and they will even update it for free for you, it really is that easy. I have had my firmware updated there and it cost me absolutely nothing. Does it require a little time on your part, absolutely. Does it stink that something you bought new might not be working right, absolutely. Sorry for the rant but every time I have been over there with questions or stuff I needed done, they have always been friendly and fixed any issues that I had. Just my 2 cents Branden….

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you aren’t happy with your purchase take it back, or you can try to make it the best it can be.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

L
    What version of firmware do you have??……It should be the latest since it’s been out for 2 years……

Branden Doyle

It had the 4.07 the guys at marcum got it updated it also had a glitch in the color system that only a few had. I had dropped it off on weds and was done that day. Took it to red worked good. The only is I noticed is the bottom was never sold red like my brothers m1. He had pure red bottom. I had a thin yellow the red for a 1/2” then a blank spot. What could that yellow be ?

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

What was your Sensitivity, sonar mode and target adjust set to?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Adjust your settings.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

In all honesty I have played many hours on both the lx7 and now the helix g2. I would immediately take it back and buy a helix unit. I am not bashing I just know from personal experience the helix unit is better!

dbv2

That is interesting to hear. So, Helix G2 Chrip is that much better or easier to use?

Branden Doyle

Sensitive was 13-15 on the correct gain. It’s just hard to get like the m3 I had. I had red souls bottom on that and a nice thing jig mark. On this I just couldn’t get what I wanted I wanted the thin line on jig. Seem to be a bigger yellow mark. But it did put fish top side

curleytail

What is your target adjust set to? You can get a very thin line on the LX7 by setting that low. On a 5 foot zoom it will make it look thicker also.

Hard to say for sure what you are seeing without knowing your settings.

The LX7 is an awesome unit that’s very adjustable. It may take a few trips to get the settings dialed in to do what you want it to do.

Rocky

FYI:

Cord is a MINI-USB, so look for your old cell phone, PS3, GPS cables for a MINI-USB cable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.