looking for some input…

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

So after 15 years, I think it’s time to retire the old King185 for a new boat… have been looking at Tracker and AlumaCraft, probably down-size to a 16 or 17 footer.

Thoughts on those two manufacturers? As to model, I’m looking at a Tracker Pro Guide WT or an Alumacraft Competitor Sport…

Haven’t been out on the Croix since moving back here – hoping to make it out this weekend!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“Haven’t been out on the Croix since moving back here”

No wonder you’re so crabby!

Not saying anything bad about Trackers…but when I was looking at boat a few years ago, Alumacraft would have been my choice.

Check out the welds on both. (but then again, we never hear of too many of either falling apart while on the water).

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep Alumacraft over Tracker. Some people say tracker has come a long ways but look at resale you will get more back from Alumacraft.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Have fished both. Tracker makes a wicked mod V flat bottom if that’s what you’re into (I regularly get to fish and shoot karp in a grizzly and it’s phenomenal). I almost bought an alumacraft trophy due to the option of having a 150hp Yamaha on a 17.5 ft boa. I imagine the yammys are getting more scarce now that BRP took over Alumacraft. Just installed a garmin on my uncle’s brand new competitor 165, wasn’t a fan of some of the fit/ finish things I saw in there. I personally own a Lund impact 1775 XS and love it, but find myself wishing the 115hp merc was a 150. Too bad the lund is only rated for a 125 and coincidentally merc doesn’t seem to make one nowadays.

I think the point here is go look at what you want. I know people that swear by just about every brand and you’ll find that on this site too. Good luck!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

OK… thanks for the input.. I’ve decided to go with the Alumacraft Competitor Sport 185, with a Suzuki DF150SS pushing it, and a Helix 9 SI linked to a Terrova 80. End of season pricing is really good right now! Just have to get a trade-in value on the old King185 and wrap this up! Going to be a long 2 weeks waiting for them to get it all rigged up and ready for the water. I’m hoping to get out Labor Day weekend and put it to work!

I’ll have to change my Avatar name now!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you can I’d go with a 112# Terrova…nice to have that thrust on the river.

Should be a great boat….congrats.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Yeah, I thought about that but I think there’s only room for 2 batteries in the storage under the rod-locker… I had a 70lb on my King185 and that could hold it’s own so I’m OK with the 80lb on the Comp185…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.