Lew's for a young fella

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I bought my 4 year old son a 5’10” ML extra fast limit creek smoothie. He needed an upgrade from his closed face reel as his fishing has progressed and I want my St. Croix back…. . Anyways he has requested a green reel for it and the only one I can find is a Lew”s Mach Speed spinning reel. Anyone have any experience with these. Is the size 100 pretty small, like geared for ice fishing? I don’t want to put a giant real on there either so how about the 200 size?

https://www.scheels.com/p/lews-mach-speed-spin-reel/84900401767.html

Anyways he has requested a green reel for it and the only one I can find is a Lew”s Mach Speed spinning reel.

Here’s another option maybe, similar price, green accents. I have a friend who recommends Piscifun reels as a good value.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190807-105502_Samsung-Internet.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have no experience with the picsifun spinning reels but the casting are terrible.
    I do have a few lews products and really dont mind the reels. They are good bargain for your buck. The 200 is like a shimano 2500. The 100 is similar to the 1000 if I remember off the top of my head

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Tell him girls coordinate colors… Boys buy what works.

tangler
    Inactive

The kid is 4. If a green reel gets him excited, go for it.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

It took me forever to even get him to use anything other than “his” closed face pole which was a terrible setup but he liked it. If he wants a green reel to make it his, that is what he’ll get. He LOVES to fish and letting him pick the stuff out is fun and gives him somethung to call his own. I don’t want to give him crappy stuff… who knows maybe dad will borrow it….

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I’ll go with the size 100 unless someone chimes in with a poor review.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Never had an issue with a Lews reel. Pretty sure I saw that reel at the Woodbury Cabelas. I think is was on a combo they were selling recently. You might be able to put one in your hands there to check out.

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I color coordinate everything….my truck and boat, my belts and shoes, my socks and underwear. One could say that my color coordination is at a masterly level.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I color coordinate everything….my truck and boat, my belts and shoes, my socks and underwear. One could say that my color coordination is at a masterly level.

Would you allow yourself to use a Firetiger Rapala while wearing a purple Vikings shirt? shock

big_g
    Isle, MN

that is immediate removal of masterly level.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Agree. Do whatever you can to foster the excitement. Don’t squash it.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I’ve used these – the Mach II. Good reel, smooth, good drag. I have the 200 size and it holds about 120y of 8 pound test mono. I think it has 10 ball bearings – I’d put it up against any other reel in the $50-$80 range in terms of quality.

Sheels has them for $59 right now – normally $79.

Good luck!

Scott

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.