Leech vs. LOTW for muskies in early September

• Tim Chrouser

Went to LOTW (Tamarack Island) early September for muskies and I got 5 (48,48,3 in mid 30s) and a few northern including 41 incher. Worked hard to get them but I was satisfied given the weather conditions.
    Went with my brother…he caught a few, too, but he’s really been hyp’in me to go to Leech instead next year. He has walleye fished there a few times in the past so I know he likes the lake, and he reads stories about massive muskies caught on mid-lake reefs. I’m not as excited because I read the same articles and see the same big-fish photos and it appears most fish are caught at night. I DON’T LIKE TO FISH FOR MUSKIES AT NIGHT! I’m 61 and I like to sleep at night.
    Anyway, should I keep arguing with him or just go to Leech with high hopes that I can get a fee fish to hit during daylight hours? Attached is photo of fish from LOTW a couple weeks ago

Attachments:
    1. 204263.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You go to LOTW and send him to Leech. grin

Unless you use a guide I think your success rate would be better on LOTW but I’m sure some will argue for Leech.

michael keehr

I would say in September lotw hands down. Fish can be caught on leech during the day but I think your odds of numbers and better quality fish are on lotw my best luck on leech has always been mid october.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

LOW would get my vote too. But when we went to LOW several years ago over Labor Day week much of the lake was like pea soup. We found areas that were clean. Sounds like you did decent this year up their. I’d want to get back up there.

Tim Chrouser

Same for us with the bloom. We fished through it and found areas where it had dissolved a bit. Even there visibility was inches. Still caught fish.

Ike Sell

We did Tamarack the second week of September. The bloom was way down. The Musky fishing was very slow. The fish seemed to have moved out of the shallow rocks. Caught a 48″ fish by accident while jigging for walleye. So next year same time period on LOTW I’ll have a bigger selection of very large jigs with me. The pike were still on the rocks and the walleye were snapping up plastics as fast as minnows.

Tim Chrouser

Hmmm…we had mixed results for muskie and did catch walleyes. Eyes would bite good for an hour then they’d shut right down.
    Shoulda tried some plastics.

Ike Sell

I found when they shut off on minnows and plastics, I dropped a jigging rap on them and they went crazy for that. I went through all the jigging raps I had. The rocks kept pulling the plastic fins off the tail end of the lead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.