Lake Sakakawea – July 2024

• gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

I’m looking to put together a trip to Lake Sakakawea June 29 to July 6 (dates are a little flexible) next year. My local fishing crew are either busy or don’t want to go. Probably staying at Indian Hills Resort focusing on the Van Hook Arm. PM if interested.

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

Predominantly walleye.

Karry Kyllo

Have you been to Lake Sakakawea before? That’s a great time to fish that area. I’ve fished that area quite alot since the mid 1980s and the walleye fishing there that time of the year is consistently as good as it gets anyplace in the upper midwest in numbers and size. The only better walleye fishing I’ve ever experienced is Lake Erie.

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

I have not fished it. I drove out there in August to do some “recon” ahead of a trip next summer.

Karry Kyllo

It’ll be a great experience for you. You may already be set on Indian Hills (and it’s a great place) but when we stay up there we usually stay at the Van Hook Territorial Inn which is just north of the Van Hook Arm. It’s a great place.
    It’s not right on the water but it’s only a short drive on a paved road to a public boat ramp on the NE side of the Van Hook Arm.
    PM me if you have any questions on how to fish it or where some of the best areas are.

Karry

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

Is the Inn a safe place to leave your boat outside at night, gear in it, cover on ?

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Yes it is. Stayed there the last 5 years. Also there is an excellent bar and restaurant a short walk up the hill so you don”t ever have to unhook the boat.Gas and convienience store right on the way out for anything you need.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

The restaurant will also cook your fish. Just have to bring it in the night before or by 2 or 3 in the afternoon of the night you want to eat it.

Karry Kyllo

Another place we really like up there is call The Lodge at Van Hook. It’s very near the Van Hook Territorial Inn and consists of cabins instead of just rooms. I believe that owned by the owners of the Territorial Inn because one must checkin at the Inn. Nice cabins with plenty of room to park boats and plug ins for electronics. One has to make reservations early because they fill up fast.

slough

I’m looking to put together a trip to Lake Sakakawea June 29 to July 6 (dates are a little flexible) next year. My local fishing crew are either busy or don’t want to go. Probably staying at Indian Hills Resort focusing on the Van Hook Arm. PM if interested.

Should be pretty prime time to be there. Fish probably in the 15-25′ range still at that time. Can get them with pretty much any tactic. Wind of course is your biggest variable, just hope it doesn’t go too crazy during your time.

YCBTX

You are either a long truck ride (30+min) or a pretty good boat ride from Van Hook if you are staying at Indian Hills…plus the gravel road in there is brutal at times. If you want to specifically fish Van hook, then I would look into some of these guys suggestions. I am not familiar with those places to stay…I pretty much solely fish the area of the lake around Garrison (East end) the entire summer…way less boat traffic, especially that time of year. But I do know the Indian Hills area and if you stay there, you do not need to go all the way up to Van Hook to find fish…plenty to be had there.

You will be baffled by the amount of boats that will be at Van hook during that time frame you are there…its insane!!! Fishing is typically insane too…just make sure to bring a heaping load of “patience” with you for when you are at the ramp.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.