Lake pepin ice report

• Matt Johnston
    Pine city

Thinking about going for ducks on pepin anyone know the conditions? Ice? Launches clear?

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

As of this morning the ramps at Hoksila and Roschen were both ice free. Yesterday (Wednesday 11-29-20232) we launched at Frontenac to download fish tracking receivers and had to break 1/4″ of ice for about 7 miles. There was thin ice from Hoksila up to Point no Point where we encountered a ~1″ ice sheet and didn’t break any further. By afternoon the Hoksila area up to long point looked to be clear with only floating patches. Not sure about refreeze at Frontenac or the status of WI side launches, but I doubt the thicker sheet we encountered went away, and it may have slid downstream.

Hope that helps.

Nick

haleysgold
    SE MN

Thinking about going for ducks on pepin anyone know the conditions? Ice? Launches clear?

I’m probably not reading the waterfowl regs right but didn’t the duck season end on Nov. 26th

Matt Johnston
    Pine city

Wis season closes this weekend.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have driven by the past few days and it’s mostly ice free by the afternoon. The skim ice I’ve seen on colder mornings breaks up in the wind or with warming temps.

For duck hunting I’d think you will be good to go given the temps and yesterday being close to 50 degrees here along Pool 4 (I think I had 48.6 degrees as a high).

For ice fishing, it’s going to be a while yet. Next week Thursday shows 50 degrees for December 7th. shock

Jimmy Jones

The S’conis were banging Bluebills big time this morning. Huge rafts of Bill seen today and maybe a few Canvasbacks in there too.

Matt Johnston
    Pine city

The S’conis were banging Bluebills big time this morning. Huge rafts of Bill seen today and maybe a few Canvasbacks in there too.

hell yeah hope it’s like that this weekend!

isu22andy

What’s the ice like on pepin ? For fishing in the boat not duck hunting . Frontenac or Hok Si la preferably . Thanks

Jimmy Jones

No ice at all that I saw yesterday.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I didn’t make it that far north, but Roschen was wide open still when I ran an errand up that way.

isu22andy

Opted to fish out of redwing today . Slow but managed a 2 man of eaters 16-18 . Threw them all back . Tried after dark for an hour for the big eyes but no one was home . Plenty of boats out for sure ! Felt like there was zero flow.

Edit – also if the drunk guys in the black alumacraft are reading , you guys are nuts . Hope ya had a sober driver . Saw one guy go swimming twice , yes swimming. Tested out the striker float suit anyway .

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m looking forward to some ice with both of the reactors down. hopefully they stay offline all winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.