Eye’s on Koronis

• walleyesam
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I am new to this site and I’m looking forward to talking with others who fish Koronis. I grew up fishing on Koronis and now we have a weekend getaway there for the summer. I have been there three times this summer with the last one being 6/21. This was by far the best summertime walleye fishing I have had on Koronis in 10 years or better. The spot that I had found the week before was still hot, and it seemed that my secret got out because it was essentially a boat parade. We had to take turns making outside passes into the wind so that we could all have our turn drifting through the hot spot. We ended up bringing home 12 walleyes all over 16″ including 2 20″ fish. We threw back 15-20 dinks and I put back a gorgeous 23.5″ on Sunday morning. By Koronis standards, the fishing was great and we had a blast. I am going up for a long weekend for the 4th, and I just hope that the fish are still biting. Hopefully there are a few of you out there who fish Koronis so we can swap some secrets….

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Sam,

I stopped by Koronis in very early June and found it to be extremely dirty water and about a foot visibility.

Has that gotten any better or is it still muddy.

thanks,

Good Luck this weekend.

Jack..

walleyesam
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Actually Jack, I found the same situation on Memorial Day weekend so I was expecting another summer of dirty water and poor fishing. When we went up in the middle of June, the water was more clear than I have ever seen it, even clearer than the fall. I spoke with someone who had talked to the DNR who had told him that they had gotten so much rain throughout the month that it had naturally filtered itself out. The water was so clear that we actually did some sight fishing for sunnies in the afternoons. I’m sure that the water has gotten a little cloudier since then, but I talked with a friend who has been fishing there all week and the water is still relatively cool (68-70) to what it usually is this time of year and the weeds are only out to 7.5 – 8.5 feet where they are usually out to 10-12 by now.

They are still picking up some small walleyes in 6-7 at the edge of the weeds, but the hogs have moved to deeper water it appears. I’m going to do some scouting this weekend with the camera and see if I can’t find some of those hefty females suspended somewhere. If nothing else, a few smaller walleyes and some bottle bass should make for a good weekend. Have a good holiday

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

thanks Sam for the update.
    boy it sure must have cleared up rather quickly…

I forgot to add on my earlier post:
    Welcome to IDO, you are going to like it around here.
    Jack..

joeman
    Participant
    Paynesville,MN

hey guys i live in paynesville…the walleye fishing sure has slowed down but they are going good over on rice lake right now in about 6 to 10 fow …i have been getting some nice largemouth down by the west end and by docks.

walleyesam
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I wish I would have read your post before this last weekend Joeman! You are right that the fishing has slowed down. The dinks are sure hungry though, we caught at least 20 around the 9-11 inch mark but only ended up with one around 14 and I was lucky enough to catch one 22″ on Monday morning before I left. Gold still seems to be the color and the little guys seem to prefer leeches. I caught the dandy on a crawler harness and a full crawler but I had to fight through the perch to get it. I took the camera out to the 30-40 ft holes and tried to find those fish that were suspended but the water just isn’t clear enough to see them. I could mark them with my finder but I couldn’t see them or get them to bite with a jig/minnow combination. That works well for me in the fall but apparently the eyes aren’t ready for that yet. I am going to give it a weeks try after labor day, hopefully the water will cool down and the fishing will pick up.

joeman
    Participant
    Paynesville,MN

ya and it doesnt help that this lake is so hard to fish..it can be a pretty good eye lake but if u here where they are bittin by the time you get out there more than likely there not bittin any more…well ill keep you guys posted and when i get into some eyes ill let ya no and hopfully you can get out there in time to get some as well

walleyesam
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I’m heading up to the lake for 9 days…. I know last year at this time people started to pick up eyes in shallow water over by Henderson Point…. Any word if there is any action?

walleyesam
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Slammed the crappies last week on Koronis as did all of the other boats that were out I’m sure. It doesn’t take long for the word to get out and that lake to fill up with fisherman. The walleyes were slow… cought some dinks and came in with one 19″. Saw a 25″ caught as well, beautiful fish. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about lake turnover yet… October is going to be a gong show at work so I am hoping I can catch the last week in September if the lake is ready for me by then…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.