Kitchen and Steak Knife Recommendations?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Our basic generic knife set from our wedding 7+ years ago needs to be replaced. I’m looking for recommendations for individual kitchen knives and a steak knife set you would recommend? I have a Wustof Chef’s Knife that is still good and gets 80% of the kitchen knife use, but looking to fill out the rest of the knife block. Stick with Wustofs? Any other brand recommendations? I’d like to buy quality steel that can be sharpened and last, not the $40 walmart special. Thanks.

CaptainMusky

No experience but I have heard the Costco ones are fantastic.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Benchmade all day every day.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We got a set of Wusthof Classics for our wedding (’08), and I have added to it, since. I absolutely love them.

Don’t buy the cheaper Wusthofs.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I never knew benchmade made kitchen knives. Sounds sweet

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m a big Wusthof fan. We have had a set for 20 + years now. I believe they are all the classic series. They are a little $ but to me worth it. We kind of built out set over time. If you already have the Chef knife you are off to a great start. If you were going to add over time I’d go in this order. 6″ Utility, 3.5 Paring, 7″ Santoku, only because you have the chef knife – Other wise this would be my 1st one. This one gets the most use in our house. I would finish with the 9″ carver. Just my .02 worth

Attachments:
    1. 3-piece-set-Benchmade.jpeg

2. Wusthof-Classic.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I never knew benchmade made kitchen knives. Sounds sweet

Best knife set I have ever owned. We slowly add to it. Our wustof were great to. But the benchmades are the business

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Best knife set I have ever owned. We slowly add to it. Our wustof were great to. But the benchmades are the business

Those benchmades do look nice. I thought the Wustof was expensive. The 3 piece set from Benchmade is $850.00. The same 3 piece set from Wustof in the classic series is 325.00

Attachments:
    1. 3-piece-set-Benchmade-1.jpeg

2. Wusthof-Classic-1.jpg

Sparklesonthewater
    Grinnell, Ia

I love my Kershaw steak knives and Kitchen knife set, So far I have only cut myself twice. lol

dirtywater

Have had wusthof classics since working in a kitchen in college. 23 years and going strong.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

the buck knife set is pretty hard to beat, too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Benchmade has sales and I watch them all over at random stores. We don’t have half that price in to our entire set.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Wusthof

eyeguy507
    SE MN

what happened to the Ginsu?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have Wusthof classics and they’re awesome. I also have a few Misen brand knives and they’re a close second for a much better price. I also have the Misen steak knives and they’re fantastic. Misen.com

Neil Vanderbosch

Eversharp in Minneapolis is a Wusthof outlet store, they have pretty good deals every now and then.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have Wusthof classics and they’re awesome. I also have a few Misen brand knives and they’re a close second for a much better price. I also have the Misen steak knives and they’re fantastic. Misen.com

I just ordered a Minsen chef knife, at $68.00 after discount figured I would try it out. Thanks

vtec

We have Chicago Cutlery that the wife decided to switch to about 10 years ago, there was nothing wrong with the older Chicago Cutlerly, just wanted a different style.
    Seriously, I don’t know how anyone could wear out any set of knifes in a lifetime under normal use.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Like many other have mentioned, Cant go wrong with the Wustohof Classic, I have a a set of the classics and use those for most of my kitchen needs. They hold a great edge and are just a good knife…..Lately though, my wife and I are doing a ton of cooking and I purchased 3 sizes kitchen knife of the Victorinox Chef’s knifes. I tell you what, for the price, these are really good knifes. I watch the bearded butchers on YouTube, and they have always recommended the Victorinox boning knifes, so thats how I started in the brand. They for sure use a softer metal, but it sharpens really well and I enjoy using them.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Benchmade has sales and I watch them all over at random stores.

What stores carry them?

Thanks for all the feedback!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

How much you looking to spend Werm?

Even mid priced Japanese blades ($100-ish) will knock the socks off of any high end US made brand for a fraction of the cost. High end stainless steels like VG-10, R2/SG2, and/or Ginsan #3 will hold a fantastic edge and can get wicked sharp with a good whetstone or two with a strop.

That said, there is nothing wrong with European knives like Wusthof, Sebatier, etc. They generally have slightly softer steel (58-ish HRC vs 61-63 HRC), so will be a little easier to sharpen vs. Japanese steels, but won’t hold an edge as long. My BIGGEST gripe with European chef knives is that many have a bolster at the rear of the blade which makes them no fun to sharpen with a whetstone.

If I had to recommend a dollar for dollar great value in a chef knife it would have to be the Takamura VG-10 series. Don’t overthink the number of knives you need to fill a “set”. Lots of the block sets you can buy have way more knives than you actually need. A good chef knife/gyuto and/or santoku for your “general purpose”, a short 5.5″-6″ santoku, and a 4″-ish paring/utility knife will do 95% of what you need in the kitchen. From there I’d just fill in whatever bread knife and steak knifes you like.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How much you looking to spend Werm?

Pretty open price-wise for something of good quality, not looking at like $200+ per knife, but would be fine with the $100 range if need be. Basically looking for a larger 6-8″ Santoku and a 4″ Santoku and then a matching set of 6 steak knives.

Justin Donson

I really like our Shun knives. They feel better in the hand to me than Wusthof(but that’s a personal thing), hold a great edge, and definitely have great aesthetics.

I don’t think you can go wrong between brands like Shun or Wusthof though, very high quality. Get yourself a couple whetstones and learn to use them and you can get those things mega sharp.

And like others have said, avoid the 10, 12, 15 knife sets as you’ll hardly ever use most of them. We have like two Shun chef’s knives, 2 wusthof paring knives, a cheap bread knife, a cheap brisket slicing knife, and a nice set of wusthof steak knives.

Have thought about adding a Santoku but we have honestly never felt like we “need” more knives.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Chicago Cutlery fan here also. Just buy a better cut of meat… the knife is just for looks at that point ! cool

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Wife picked up a set of Zwilling Pro’s a few years ago. Comparable to the Wusthof Classic I would think. I’ve been happy with them. Very easy to touch up with the steel once I learned how to use it.

Attachments:
    1. image-scaled.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Personally, I found I liked the more commercially-focused knife brands.
    The commercial brands IMO are better value and have excellent steel and quality at a better price than the higher-end consumer brands.

Global knives are very good. Excellent steel and build quality and I love the handles.

Whatever you buy, it’s critical to have a good sharpening system. Even top-quality knives need to be sharpened and keeping them in peak condition requires more sharpening than most think.

Gitchi Gummi

Speaking of knife sharpening, project farm broke down knife sharpening in this video. Turns out, you don’t need a fancy expensive sharpener to get a great edge on a knife

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.