Kettle Falls portage into Rainy

• scottaheller

Next year we’ll be camping on Virgin Is on the east end of rainy in voyageurs and considering putting in at Ash River and portaging across Kettle Falls instead of going across the big lake from Rainy Lake visitors center. Looks like it will save about 5 miles in distance on the water and about 30 minutes on the road.
    I’ve never been up that channel but looking at the map it is very protected and well marked.

Any input on taking this route?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I think you’re on the right track. It’s a nice ride from the ash river to kettle. Much more protection from a west wind than making the run down Rainy. There’s a lot less open water that can get rough.
    It’s a well marked route and heavily traveled.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just go slow once they dump you on the Rainy side, it’s rocky if you get off track until you hit the big water.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I’ve camped on Virgin Is a couple times and left on the ash river..that’s safe the hotel pulls your boat over to the river..good fishing in the harbor…when you go down the river watch red and green rocks are nasty I know hit a rock downstream green right red left stay in the middle or tight to the green marker not too close that campground is nice has a dock close to some good reef fishing..crappies also north.

Nodakk

As other said. Make sure you know how to navigate the red and green cans. Guy in our group this year got off course and lost a lower unit. Very long tow back

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Just go slow once they dump you on the Rainy side, it’s rocky if you get off track until you hit the big water.

That’s a fact. Depending on the water level, you have to watch for the big rock where they unload you into Rainy.

Erik Swenson

You’ll be fine if you’re familiar with navigation cans. Otherwise, once on the Rainy side you could to go up the Canadian channel. It’s a bit further around, but less tricky than the American. Just don’t stop or anything until you cross back over into the States of course.

scottaheller

You’ll be fine if you’re familiar with navigation cans. Otherwise, once on the Rainy side you could to go up the Canadian channel. It’s a bit further around, but less tricky than the American. Just don’t stop or anything until you cross back over into the States of course.

We’ve done the American channel several time and yes my buddy put his brand new boat onto a rock because he went on the wrong side of the red can. I might look into the Canadian channel if there are less hazards. Only thing with having the boats packed with camping gear, food and booze I’m not sure we want to venture too deep into Canada.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

You can cross the border back and forth as long as you don’t land or anchor. here’s an excerpt from the Canadian government website:

Reporting exceptions
    Foreign national boaters

If you enter Canadian waters, you are not required to present yourself and report your goods to the CBSA if you:

do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters
    do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada

If at any point during the transit you come to port, anchor, moor or make contact with another vessel, you must report to the CBSA immediately

That might change between now and your trip, so check it out here:
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.