Is the Cabelas brand gone?

• Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

That’s exactly the issue I encounter at Scheels in the winter. They’ve removed all of their open water fishing tackle for ice fishing crap. It’s gone by October and doesn’t reappear until at least March.

yep we get it…..you dont ice fish!!!! coffee
    [/quote]

rotflol

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

That’s exactly the issue I encounter at Scheels in the winter. They’ve removed all of their open water fishing tackle for ice fishing crap. It’s gone by October and doesn’t reappear until at least March.

yep we get it…..you dont ice fish!!!! coffee
    [/quote]

Can’t really blame him for that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just to be clear here, I like Scheels. I just bought new danner hunting boots from them in January. I just prefer Cabelas for fishing tackle because there’s more of it and it’s readily available during the whole year.

Carry on

dirtywater

I’m with Gim as well. The Cabelas in Woodbury is always stocked with tackle, rods, and reels. Tons of aisles and tons of room to maneuver. The Scheels in Eden Prairie is the only one I’ve been to, but even in the summer I felt they had 30% less tackle and everything was very cramped.

jwellsy

My last Cabela order was 2 years ago for a camping piece of gear, a Lounge Cot. It’s the most comfortable cushioned cot I’ve ever seen or tried. The legs are all adjustable so you can sleep level on a hill.

Where’s a good online source for ned jigs?

Beast

there was a time, hunting gear …cabelas. fishing gear…. basspro. if you needed something quick and couldn’t wait for a mail order to come….gander mountain.

maddogg

Worst thing Cabelas ever did was selling out to Bass pro Shop.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Cabelas is terrible since bass pro bought them letting my cabelas card from 20 years close scheels is way more for the customer.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Just to be clear here, I like Scheels. I just bought new danner hunting boots from them in January. I just prefer Cabelas for fishing tackle because there’s more of it and it’s readily available during the whole year.

Carry on

I don’t need a lot of fishing tackle, I just need the right fishing tackle. I worked at Cabela’s in Owatonna during college, it was awesome then. I still stop in at cabelas when passing by and will shop without a purpose. When I lived in Georgia the Bass Pro in Atlanta was great. Lots of Norman, Bandit, etc. they had megabass jerkbaits and on and on. Now ever since the merger I go in, no megabass, no Keitech swimbaits, terrible selection of frogs, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. Jonny Morris will do his best to knock off a hot lure, then get a cheap copy made and call it the bass pro brand. The guy is a joke. Readhead clothing is cheaply made and doesn’t last. The shame of it is, you used to be able to buy high quality premium raingear and camo at Cabelas. Now all that’s left if Bass Pro/Redhead garbage. And then Sitka, First lightbulb, Kiuiuiuiuiu step in to fill the void, which is nice stuff, but their prices are jacked up even more. I apologize for getting on the soap box here, all this is just my personal opinion.

nord

The tent sale that the Owatonna store had was unbelievable every fall. The quality of goods is not the same now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Readhead clothing is cheaply made and doesn’t last.

I generally agree. I’ve bought some Redhead items over the years and it was obvious they were not very high quality. I avoid them now.

Both of the smaller tackle/live bait shops near me have closed in the past year too. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Bartman

I recently purchased Cabela’s Guidewear on line…..big mistake. I wanted to replace the Guidewear I bought in 1999…The new stuff is cheap, thin and I am sure will not hold up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

While I’m always grateful for the gifts, non-outdoors-people keep giving me Cabelas gift cards and they are getting VERY hard to spend because of how badly Basspromart has dragged down the quality and selection.

Last year I spent a $100 gift card on refreshing my twister tail supply for Canada. Kind of stupid because I could have gotten them cheaper online, but this was the only thing Cabelas had that I wanted.

And of course this Christmas, I was given another $100 gift card. I thought I might spend it on reloading supplies, but of course, nothing I want is ever in stock.

Hopefully, I can find a pair of neoprene boots there. Again, the problem in the past is finding anything in stock and the right size at the time when I want it.

Sad what’s happened to Cabelas.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There will be many a case study done on the corpse of Cabela’s. In a very short period of time (which started pre Bass Pro imo) that brand was the best of the best quality, and an absolute destination for outdoors shopping. Remember people would drive to Nebraska, Owatonna or eventually Rogers, just to shop Cabelas? And the Cabela’s Catalog day was second only to SI Swimsuit issue day to most red blooded midwesterners. rotflol jester rotflol

Now they are known for knock off el cheapo equipment, and I generally don’t stop in even when I’m in the area with time to kill. Pretty incredible how drastic and quickly they have fallen.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Cabela’s has become my go to store for Yeti… coffee doah

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.