Ipilot years

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

What years should I avoid if i were buying a used motor. I would like to have spot lock on my boat, but no need for any of the other features that come with the ipilot. I know there have been spot lock issues, but wondering if they corrected it before they got into the link and the puck systems they have now.

blank

The improved spot-lock came out in 2017 with the Bluetooth models. If you’re looking to buy used and definitely want spot-lock, don’t bother looking at anything without Bluetooth since the spot-lock is a night and day difference between the Bluetooth and non-BT models.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

The improved spot-lock came out in 2017 with the Bluetooth models. If you’re looking to buy used and definitely want spot-lock, don’t bother looking at anything without Bluetooth since the spot-lock is a night and day difference between the Bluetooth and non-BT models.

I’ve got the older non Bluetooth version maybe 2014. Mine works just fine. Maybe not as precise as yours but works fine.

The first link units without the 2nd puck were considered overly erratic, possibly dangerous due to over correcting. 2016 models?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think the issue was mainly with the link units losing connectivity – those were the pre-puck units. They also didn’t have spot lock on the foot pedal. With the newer versions with the puck you get spot lock on the pedal. That way, if something happens with the controller you are all good on to use spot lock.

CBMN
    North Metro

I think the issue was mainly with the link units losing connectivity – those were the pre-puck units. They also didn’t have spot lock on the foot pedal. With the newer versions with the puck you get spot lock on the pedal. That way, if something happens with the controller you are all good on to use spot lock.

I think it is primarily with the i-pilot remote and battery. Go to replace the $1 button battery and watch out as the whole remote might be toast, or at least that is the issue I hear about/see the most. But the 2017 or newer BT models have the better foot pedal, optional backup phone or table as a remote also.

I have one of each generation I-pilot Link units, one is a 80lb from 2013, and the other is a 55lb 2018 version. Neither is perfect, the newer one is a bit better, but relatively speaking i have been happy with both. The I-pilot link remotes both have rechargeable batteries and I have had good luck with mine, but do like the spot lock on the pedal and jog feature of the new unit.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Any thoughts on adding the kit to my current V2 powerdrive? That may be my best option price wise. I guess really my question is has anybody done that and is it trouble free?

Deuces

My understanding is the first year or two they were quite good. Then they royally screwed em up, then the BT models became cats a$$. Remote issues seem to plague most all older ones.

There are some very enlightening threads of old here that show the dismay of the gen 2 ipilot models

MnPat1

I had the second year model and it was perfect. Now I have a 2015 model and it’s not as good. My only complaint would how it ramps up the motor speed to fast. Still holds you all day long in one spot

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My understanding is the first year or two they were quite good. Then they royally screwed em up, then the BT models became cats a$$. Remote issues seem to plague most all older ones.

There are some very enlightening threads of old here that show the dismay of the gen 2 ipilot models

I had the second year model and it was perfect. Now I have a 2015 model and it’s not as good. My only complaint would how it ramps up the motor speed to fast. Still holds you all day long in one spot

My sentiments exactly. My 2014 i-Pilot spot lock was horrid. Held maybe a 30’ radius. Then the remote range went to crap. Also had the motor replaced under warranty due to a leak caused by a manufacturing defect in the housing.

My 2017 BT is like a breath of fresh air.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.