Iowaboys weeks end fishing report

• Iowaboy1

After a fantastic start to our vacation fishing wise the weather turned from cloudy,rainy,and windy to nice.
    Way too nice in fact,the sun came out,the wind died off as did the fishing.
    the lake turned a pea soup green with an algae bloom,normally this lakes visibility is fourteen feet easy.
    The water temps climbed from 72 to 83 degrees in what seemed like overnight,boy did that kill the fishing.

We were fishing in ten feet of water and could do no wrong,crankbaits of all sorts,lindy rigs,jigs of all colors,you name it, it worked.
    With the drastic change we had to try different tactics,we started catching them again in fourteen to seventeen feet of water and they shut down again after a day.
    Finesse presentation and very slow at that was the order of the day.
    I am happy that we caught enough to have a fish fry and a few of each species to bring home,I am not the type that just has to limit out with each outing.
    When winter gets here again and I am suffering with cabin fever,I will do like always and start a campfire,set a huge skillet on it and relive the happy memories in my mind with an outdoors fish fry,ya,I know,I am a little kid at heart.

Heading home today it didnt start out so good,Russ had a belt break in the right front tire on his truck.
    luckily we had just gotten gas at the station on CO75 when we found out what his shake was,better there than on the road.
    I would really like to get a hold of the guy who engineered that stupid winch with the safety they use on general motors trucks that holds up the spare.
    It isnt fit here to type what I would like to do to him !!!! but he needs his keester kicked up so high over his head he has to take his hat off to fart.
    That took an hour to get the entire mechanism unbolted and fished down out of the truck after several attempts to free up the safety catch.
    After that it was a fairly uneventful ride to home,well,that is until yours truly had problems of his own.

Four miles from home we hit a large bump in the road and I heard a distinct pop but couldnt tell what it was but I did notice the boat was more springy acting on the trailer than usual so I babied it the rest of the way home.
    When I parked the boat and walked around the back of it I about fainted,the entire brace with the first set of rollers and the transom saver had broken away from the weldment on the right hand side.
    The boat was only sitting on the front set of rollers,had it not been for the transom saver being in place,the entire rear brace and roller caddy would of been dragging on the road.
    Many thanks were lifted for not being worse than what it was !!!!.

Time to call the insurance company to get a new trailer,this one owes me nothing as it has faithfully carried Nautalund thousands of miles since it was new in 1995.
    I had checked,( or thought I did ) the trailer over very well but I have to be honest and tell you I never gave the welds other than where the spring perches are a second thought.
    I am really hoping that there is no damage to the hull but I will give that a good look tomorrow as I am shot.
    All of us had a great vacation,got into some fantastic fishing and we got home safe so there are NO complaints at all.

Already counting the days until next year !!!
    blessings to all !
    Sheldon

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well your luck could have been much worse, no?
    Can’t tell ya enough the belief in the oil bath bearing system that I have and you did the rebuild on!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Heading home today it didnt start out so good,Russ had a belt break in the right front tire on his truck.
    luckily we had just gotten gas at the station on CO75 when we found out what his shake was,better there than on the road.
    I would really like to get a hold of the guy who engineered that stupid winch with the safety they use on general motors trucks that holds up the spare.
    It isnt fit here to type what I would like to do to him !!!! but he needs his keester kicked up so high over his head he has to take his hat off to fart.
    That took an hour to get the entire mechanism unbolted and fished down out of the truck after several attempts to free up the safety catch.

[/quote]

I can’t believe GM has not changed the spare tire carrier. That safety mechanism only works if the truck is less than a year old and never been driven on gravel roads. I have cut several out with the torch. The engineering dept. at GM should all be hung by their thumbs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.