Iowa Ice fishing Quick Update

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Well, it is currently -20 “real feel” outside, so I am on the couch for the first time in 18 days instead of fishing. I hopefully will make it out later today…but right now it is cold…BRRRR!!

The fishing around the area has been fantastic at times, and slow at times. Just depends on the current weather patterns and the ability to find un-pressured fish.

There are some new lakes in cedar rapids, and Iowa city that have been producing some trophy caliber crappies, upwards of 15″…bumble bee, or orange tiger in size eight rigged with a finesse plastic have been taking the bigger fish.

Walleyes have been hit or miss during the golden hours. Again, in un-pressured areas. Silver/blue foil lightning spoon in 1/8 ounce has been my best, rigged with a minnow head.

Sometimes the fish bite the best in the morning, and then the next day it is the evening. I have even been picking up wipers after dark, which has never happened before!

Please remember cpr on the wipers as well as the biggest crappies! I have been keeping two or three walleyes and a few crappies once in a while to cook up for the wife and I…mmmm they are good out of cold water!!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice fish and Great pics Luke

Thanks for the update

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

That crappie in the pic with the 2 eyes is FAT!! Awsome pics!!

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Props for braving the cold nice fish

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Well, that answers the question, where the heck has Luke been? Nice looking pics Luke, those crappies are some real rounders

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I knew you were out there

Great pix to add to the report Luke

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That looks like a Blast dude

Thanks for the read and pics

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Well, that answers the question, where the heck has Luke been? Nice looking pics Luke, those crappies are some real rounders

Thought I seen Luke on TV this morning fishing with Poppie and the CJ&S crew. Was the Midwest Outdoors?

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

Nice fish !

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Nice Fish For Sure!!

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

wow some solid fish….stay on them and good luck…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Thought I seen Luke on TV this morning fishing with Poppie and the CJ&S crew. Was the Midwest Outdoors?

I thought that was him too… But it couldn’t have been… The Luke I know would not have been speechless

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

To funny Dave. I ws going to say maybe next time he can getting a speaking role.

blufloyd

Maybe this is year I figure a way to fish with Luke.
    I absolutely love his posts.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

I thought that was him too… But it couldn’t have been… The Luke I know would not have been speechless

lol…that was me…I just get nervous in front of the camera…

dwbeals
    Iowa

Awesome pics!

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Nice fish & pics

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.