Dream Walleye Trip

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

If…money wasn’t an option…where would you go and what time frame during the ice season??

I’ve spent plenty of time at LOTW, and I’m looking for other options this winter. Little bay de noc, rainy lake…lake winnipeg…
    Looking for a good walleye bite, sunup to sundown, and even after sundown…

Keep it to north america…I’m not going to iceland..

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

probably rainy lake. chris has been just slamming the eyes up there every winter and all winter long. i’ve been to bay de noc and it wasnt great at all. we caught 1 perch and i found a tip-up that had a 29 inch walleye hanging on the end of it. but other than that we didnt do any good. plus my dad has been back a few times and it still wasnt any better so we stopped going there. there are still walleyes there just not like it was.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Devils Lake ND.

-J.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Rainy with Chris

I’d like to get out to the Columbia River sometime to (open water)

b_hames

If I could afford it, I would like to spend a few days with Chis too.

Maybe Flin Flon, always have heard good things about that.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Winnipeg in march or April bay of quinte (sp) on lake Huron pretty much from ice up to ice out or Tobin. Canada= land of the giants!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Lake Erie always interested me. They seem to pile up some big fish over there.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Winnipeg hands down!

a1a

Budd’s Gunisao Lake Lodge in way up north Manitoba!

arklite881south

There sure are some great options for pulling walleyes Luke!! All I know is I am really getting the itch to slide some pigs on the ice. Our current is down on the lake right now, and many fall locations really started to get stacked up with fish. I am in hopes of a fantastic bite that extends beyond the December/January timeframe this year. Often times in many fisheries February can find anglers finessing finicky walleyes. A few years ago we had reduced current levels, and we knocked the fish all season long Can’t wait to get out there again!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I hear you…the only problem for me, is my trips start when the ravens…a)win the super bowl b) get knocked out…either way they are 5-1 this year, and looking good so far. That is where my trips begin.. I think that is the problem Marshal and I ran into with trying to come your way last year, it ended up getting too late in the season I think…

Maybe, I will have to sneak up there by myself to see you Chris!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Cross LBDN off your list for w few years anyway… IF…they reduce the illegal netting and somehow strike an agreement with the Tribal Council…the fishery needs a LOT of rebuilding…
    Why do you think we drive to Everts 6 times a year?

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Quote:

Devils Lake ND.

-J.

No doubt for me!!! Went early ice and fished an area lake just near Devils lake and had the best ice fishing for eye’s ever. big ,medium and small from sun up to sun down. Fished with Zippy Dahl and just lights out hammered them.
    There is no landing to this small lake so it doesn’t get fished in the summer. the big lake was not even froze over yet. oh don’t forget a good number of pike too!!!What a great trip!!!Tell zippy bigroy says HI

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Rainy with Chris! Someday…….someday.

wheels2
    Ham Lake,MN

Tough to beat Winnipeg for average size and #s of fish if you want to go late ice. Quinte a great option but depending on where you live the drive is a grind. No nt bite at Winnipeg however dont think most of your Canadian shield lakes will offer you that.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Any Minnesota marbleye lake…back in the days before commercial fishing. Read Fellegy’s Classic Minnesota Fishing Stories: A Rare Collection of First-Hand Accounts, Anecdotes, and Reports

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Well you have a really good list going, but one that has been on my bucket list too long would be the Columbia river. Babe Winkelman mentioned it on one of his DVDs years ago and I have been itching to fly out there ever since. To see what people catch out there you can check out the Columbia river Forum. Expand the search to go back 10 years so you can see a couple pages of truely giant walleyes.

andys
    kasson

Rainy with Chris anytime all the time AMAZING

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I say you fish all 3 and let us know which one is better….

ntw
    Eastern MT

LBDN has been hurt by illegal netting, but there are still tons of nice fish there. The bite has gotten tough because of the presence of lots of bait fish in my opinion. However the perch there have really taken off recently!

I’d like to fish Rainy, LOTW, or Quinte.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Rainy with Chris anytime all the time AMAZING

I totally agree and yes, this is on my hit list

But after this read I can’t imagine a bad trip to Pasha either, there must be hard water season offerings to fish this resource also

Pasha

Decisions, decisions

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Budd’s Gunisao Lake Lodge in way up north Manitoba!

I didn’t see anything on his website for ice fishing? Does he offer ice fishing?

hawkeye27

No doubt rainy lake with chris

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Around the Bass Islands on Erie.

Pine Falls greenbacks on Winnipeg.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Haven’t made it to Tobin, but lake Winnipeg is the best I know of for size and numbers.

fishbizbob

Quote:: Budd’s Gunisao Lake Lodge in way up north Manitoba!

Quote: I didn’t see anything on his website for ice fishing? Does he offer ice fishing?

Nope. It’s a fly-in Trophy Walleye summer lodge, late May-August or so. I was there in 2001 or 2. Huge walleyes, even Papa Karl caught a 30″+ there.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Head up to Rainy with Chris. He’s a top notch guide and a helluva guy to fish with, not to mention the awesome fishing. I have two different trips set in stone for as many years as I can make it up there!!! See ya in about 6 weeks Chris!

timmy

Quote:

Haven’t made it to Tobin, but lake Winnipeg is the best I know of for size and numbers.

Same here. Winnipeg is tough to beat.

LeeMB

I don’t think you can beat Lake winnipeg for numbers and trophy potential. Our fishing stays consistant from Dec. till the end of March as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.