FROZEN HANDS! WHAT ARE THE BEST GLOVES/MITTENS?

• racedirt
    WIS,OUTAGAMIE/WAUPACA

IVE GOT A PROBLEM WITH MY HANDS I WORKED IN A FOUNDRY WITH HAND TOOLS AND THE NERVES ARE GONE IN MY HANDS. THEY GO NUMB AND FREEZE EASY!! SEEMS LIKE I CANT FIND A PAIR OF DECENT GLOVES AND ALWAYS HAVE TO GO WITH HUGE MITTENS? ITS A REAL PAIN WHEN YOU ARE PRAYING THAT YOUR FLAG DONT GO UP AFTER TAKING CARE OF ONE FISH AND TRYING TO WARM MY HANDS UP! AND BANG ALL THREE DO!! ONLY PART OF MY BODY THAT GETS COLD. THATS ANOTHER REASON I WANT TO SELL OR TRADE MY CLAM 6800 FOR A PERMENENT HOME BUILT SHACK ON WHEELS.

teamvexilar
    Richland Center, Wisconsin

At the beginning of last years ice fishing season, I used wool glommits. They provided average warmth and all, but if i had to make a quick grab down the hole to get a big crappie and they got wet, that was the worst thing ever. They soak it up and hold it in. I even had them freeze solid after i took them off and put them down and borrowed a pair of someone elses gloves. I got wise and decided to use a pair of chopper mittens. They kept me warm and didn’t soak up water, and unlike gloves, they left space for hand warmers to be put in. Although they are a bit cumbersome in that you have to take them off to change baits, tie knots, etc., they are sure as hell better than frostbite !

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

My Dad worked in foundary too but he lucked out when they made him a foreman so he didn’t have to pour or grind anymore. Then he worried about everyone else.

I’d go with the chopper style too if I had your problem. Look for something with GoreTex if you can afford it. I always try to afford it when it comes to winter gear. How many times have you said I’d give a hundred bucks not be cold today. I gave it!!!

Try the snowmobile shops or one of the big sporting goods retailers like Gander Mtn or Cabelas to get a good pair.

Then get some yarn and tie them together running the yarn over the shoulders like your mom did a hundred years ago so you wouldn’t loose them.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Get a good pair of neoprene decoy gauntlets for tending your tipups. Slip them on and your hands will never get wet. When your done put your choppers back on and your hands will be toasty and dry all day. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.