Ice houses

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I’m looking at buying a portable ice house to fish the croix, vermillion and a few out of town trips. I think I have narrowed my decision down to two. The otter series and the fish trap series. Which would you buy and why?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have fished in both the Fish Trap and the Otter houses. I presently am fishing in a Otter Magnum Lodge. I think the big difference between them are the sled design in size and depth. The Otter sled has room for all my gear that I might take with for an all day trip on Mille Lacs. The new Otter for 2004 also have square tubing. Which Otter says is 4-5 times stronger than round tubing. Both houses are very similar in design. Overall I think the Otter is the superior house. Stop by Gander Mtn. and look at them side by side and you will see what I am talking about.

Check out my product review on the Otter portable:

Otter product review

Fish Trap web site

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Bobber:

Thanks for the links. I have a friend who is shopping right now and I was going to find some info on line for him. By the way, we were thinking about an ice fishing trip to Mille Lacs. Any ideas where to rent a sleeper ice shack?

Mark

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Check out:

Karpens- 320-676-8834
    Mac’s Twin Bay-320-676-8709
    Hunters Point- 320-676-3227

All have really nice rental houses!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Thanks Bobber!!!!

Mark

racedirt
    WIS,OUTAGAMIE/WAUPACA

im thinking of selling my clam 6800 excelent cond!! floor is 6×8′ 6 fishing holes 6 windows 2 doors no rips zippers all like new. i need to get at least 375.00 as they are 499.00-555.00 new it folds nice into a 4×6′ sled and has the tow rope loops! im willing to trade for nice homemade shack on wheels in good shape as i bought trailer at resort on lake and am thinking of settling on that lake only, as in my opinion im not gonna live long enough to learn more than one or 2 lakes well! maybe im a slow learner?

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Go with the Otter. I have both the Lodge and the Medium Cabin and have no complaints. Any improvement Otter has made over the past few years are improvements on an already superior product. The sleds are far superior on Otters to the floors of the Ice Traps. Even if you don’t pull them they are better…deeper and more sturdy. Did I mention the seats….

I put an old comforter on the floor and my Golden sleeps out of the way. The competion has their seat supports running the lenght of the house while Otters run across and are supported by the walls of the sled leaving plenty of room to access gear stored beneath you. If you only need one seat that is all you carry.

The Lodge is great for two people since you have more room to spread out and can stand in it. I use the Medium cabin for myself or I put the two smaller ones in a party in it. It does fit two just fine but if you like room the Lodge is it.

The Medium Cabin fits in the back of a short box with room to spare while the Lodge takes up it all. The Lodge fits nicely into a long box with room for the auger and propane tanks along the end gate plus room along the sides for shovels seats etc.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for the info guys. I was at Gander this weekend sitting and playing with the houses. I have to agree that I do like the otter sleds much better than the others, but I wish they wouldn’t made you piece meal the whole thing. House 319, sled 125, seats 69 a piece. Man this gets spendy in a hurry. Better wait till after christmas.

tgif

Or you can do like I did and get a 2/10 and screw a cut of of the 2 by on each end of the 2×10 and then mount a swivel boat seat on the 2×10….I also have rod rolders mounted on the front end of the 2×10 so as I sit there I can run a rod to the left, one in the holder between my legs, and one on the next seat over, and one further to the right than that. This is in a cabin otter….it’s one size smaller than Bobber’s. Otter is the way to go. I’ve had the pruple one now for 5 yrs. and it still a great portable. TGIF

ProTiller
    Chisago Lakes Area

Have you looked at the Frabill’s. They compete with the Otters and are much cheaper. The two man Ranger XLTwin retails for 399 and the three man Ranger triplex retails for 499. Their shell won’t ice up and doesn’t allow wind to pass through. It is also fire resistant, stronger and much lighter. Unlike the Otters and Fish Traps the seats don’t have a brace that spans the width or length of the sled (which takes up room). The new Modular seating system Frabill develop is awesome.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I have looked at all models, I do like the way Frabills redid their seats for this year. I am going to run up to the ice show this weekend to give them another look. Thanks for all the info.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.