Camera Distance?

• Tanker

I got a cabelas 5.5″ for Christmas and would like to know how far to drill the hole for the camera from the one I am fishing from.

I tried it this weekend and set the camera about 6-7 feet from my jigging hole and it seemed to be too far.

Soo…how close is the normal set-up from the jig hole?

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

This all depends on how you’re fishing, what you are fishing for and what your water quality is.
    I have even resorted to fishing out of the same hole that my camera is in!
    I don’t recommend doing this, but circumstances will dictate.
    In the permanent shack on Mille Lacs, I can often get away with putting the camera in one hole and viewing the others from 6-8 feet away (during good day light).
    Good luck
    cheers

josh_hanson
    S.E. Minnesota

Depending on water clarity, I usually set up my camera 3-4 feet away from the hole I’m jigging in.

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

I usually use my camera vertically in the same hole as I’m fishing. I set my camera looking down on top of my jig. I have an Aqua Vu explorer and it comes with a vertical attachment that you put on the camera and you can look straight down. I think I can keep the jig in the middle of the screen easier this way. This method works a little better for me. Sorry if I didnt have the answer you were looking for, but good luck anyhow.

Ladredge

Obviously depends on the water clarity but as a general rule setting the camera about 3 feet away will typically give you a good view of your jig. If real clear water you can move it back a fair distance and still get a good view as well as see more of the surrounding area for roaming fish so you can react accordingly with jigging. It seems every lake is a little different but other factors like time of day (how high is the sun), clear sky versus overcast, amount of snow cover on the ice, thickness of ice, etc. are all factors that come into play.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Tanker and LaDredge,

Welcome to IDO..

Jack

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

On the Mississippi River backwaters…only two feet away MAX during good daylight. The water is very murky in the shallows

jhalfen

3 feet or so worked well for me this past weekend on a lake with average water clarity.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tanker, I put mine out as wide as my X2. I would say about 6-7 feet. I have both holes inside the shack On Mille Lacs, there are days you can see 25-30 feet.

big G

MadJack
    St. Paul, MN

As for the consensus, I agree with the 3′ to 5′ range. A good starting point. If clear at that range you could always drill another further out. In the permanant house the camera hole is in line with two fishing holes so we can see both baits, one is just a little farther.

ses
    Mississippi River

2-3′ away seems to be the number for me. If I drill 3 holes I can typically see the 3rd hole which is located about 5-6′ away, but not as well.

ses
    Mississippi River

Welcome Tanker.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

5-6′ out works where I fish when clarity permits but usually 3′ in the portable.remember if you have a fish on to pull it quickly so you dont make the mistake I did this year.I was able to watch my PB walleye dart off in the distance after it wrapped my line once around the cable and came off.

maddogg

I usually use my camera vertically in the same hole as I’m fishing. I set my camera looking down on top of my jig. I have an Aqua Vu explorer and it comes with a vertical attachment that you put on the camera and you can look straight down. I think I can keep the jig in the middle of the screen easier this way. This method works a little better for me. Sorry if I didnt have the answer you were looking for, but good luck anyhow.

Don’t you have trouble with your fishing line getting tangled around you camera cable?

JoeMX1825
    MN

when using a camera ice fishing, I typically drill a hole just outside my Otter Flipover, obviously water clarity plays a big part in the distance..

acarroline

Those of you that drill holes outside the portable… one mentioned a hole cover to keep it from freezing over and also fit a panner. What’s that look like?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Those of you that drill holes outside the portable… one mentioned a hole cover to keep it from freezing over and also fit a panner. What’s that look like?

when it’s cold enough for the camera cable hole to freeze up solid, then i’ll drill the hole in the very upper corner inside the flipover…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I use a one man flip over shelter. I drill my camera hole as close to the tub as possible. My fishing holes are on the far end of the fishing space. Ends up being about 3 to 4 feet away. The display unit is out between the fishing holes so I can monitor both the display, as well as the rod tips.

10klakes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jripperger83 wrote:</div>

Don’t you have trouble with your fishing line getting tangled around you camera cable?

I don’t think you will get a response from him as this thread is from 2009. but yes wrapping around the cord is an issue especially with sunnies.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.