Warmest boot for ice fishing.

• r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Since it’s close to x-mas and the ice fishing season has begun I want to get my dad a warm pair of boots. His feet got cold very easily and I would like to get him a pair that he can sit all day comfortably. Do you boys have any suggestions for me??????? Thanks

a1a

Stegar Mukluks out of Ely Minn.

Get the extra in-sole, makes a world of difference!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’d like to hear a review of the new Ice Armor boots. They looked well made at the Ice Show.

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Cabelas Inferno 2000, very warm, but heavy and bulky to walk around in

machine

I’ve just got a mid-calf high Thinsulate rubber boot with a nice liner in it. That works the best for me. I have the Iceman boot and have tried others, but the rubber boot keeps it 100% dry and I got it 1 size too big for a little extra room for insulation. It isn’t the best if you have to walk a long ways though, but that is a different topic.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Save yourself a couple hundred $$ and try a pair of military Mickey Mouse boots from Fleet Farm $39. They don’t look like much but your just ice fishing right!

No liners to ever wear out, super warm, waterproof, and I am still trying to wear out my pair from Uncle Sam from 1983! Just make sure you buy a size big enough for a pair of wool socks underneath so your not blocking blood flow!

If you can’t find the right size post again I have the phone number from the State Publications guy at the Ice Show. He sells them for $69 and ships anywhere!

Over the years I have turned many people onto them and the only guy that doesn’t like them is Jon Jordan from his USMC days! I think if he was fishing instead of being on guard duty he’d like them

Good Luck,

Ferny.

packmann
    spring valley

i also thought a good time to get a new pair of boots would be x-mas time. i have a pair of lacross ice-mans but they must weigh 5lbs a piece and suck walking in. i went to cabelas and bought a pair of 10″ 2000 grain hunting boot for $59. i see they arent on sale any more and now are $80 but these have to be the warmest and light weight boot i have ever worn and they only cost me $60. the only problem is i could only wear them one time to test them out and then i had to put them back in the box so they could be wrapped and put under the christmas tree.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Cabelas Inferno 2000, very warm, but heavy and bulky to walk around in

Out of curiosity I weighed my boots with my rapala digital…

Size 14 Cabelas Inferno 2000 gram = 3 lbs. 3 oz. per boot

” 14 Lacrosse Ice kings = 3 lbs. 12 oz. ”

” 14 Danner pronghorn 400 gram = 2 lbs. 3 oz. ”

” 14 Irish setter model?? 800 gram = 2 lbs. 12 oz. ”

” 14 Wolverine model?? 400 gram = 2 lbs. 7 oz. ”

” 8 (wifes) Rocky Retraction 1400 gram = 2 lbs. 5 oz. ”

I’ve had my Inferno’s since last Oct., so they’ve seen a full Ice season and 2 full deer seasons. I’m impressed to say the least! With a quality set of Merino wool socks my feet have never gotten cold. VERY comfortable and have shown to be durable. For a 2000 gram boot they really aren’t that heavy and not nearly as bulky as my Ice kings. Remember, they are a 2000 gram boot so they are going to have a little weight. If you want to keep your feet warm, dry and comfortable I recommend the Inferno, great boot!

I’ll add…a quality sock with 70%+ merino wool is key to keeping feet warm and dry! I recommend the cabelas wader socks, they’re really tall, comfy and warm! I have other brands of merino wool socks as well and they are warm but the wader socks are my favorite. They fit the foot nice and snug but not tight and don’t slide down the leg. Along with merino wool socks I have several other pair/style of “wool” socks…most of those stay in the drawer and never get worn, they simply aren’t as warm.

BIRDDOG

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Thanks fella’s I appreciate the input.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I thought its impossible to get a boot greater than 1000 or 1200 grams of insulate/thinsulate? Anyone else hear this…?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I thought its impossible to get a boot greater than 1000 or 1200 grams of insulate/thinsulate? Anyone else hear this…?

My cold weather boots are Red Wing/Irish Setter Buck Trackers. They have 1600 grams of thinsulate.
    These boots are a bit bulky but are very warm.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I am not 100% sure about my post above…I am trying to research it a bit more….Might be an old wise tale, but snopes has nothing…

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a pair of 2000 gram boots. But, these things are freaking HUGE. You could almost park a VW bug in them They are very heavy, very bulky, but warm.

I bought these boots when I kept getting very cold feet, even in 45 degree weather. SInce then I have learned that more thinsulate isn’t always the answer. But, I do still wear these and can be warm all day

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Its possible to get a boot >1000 gram. The issue is that once you add that much insulation it is difficult to keep the thickness of the actual insulation. If the thinsulate gets packed together, as it often does > 1000 grams, it becomes arbitrary insulation within the boot. Sure would be nice to be able to fluff it like a down pillow

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Ah ha….the mad scientist strikes again….I knew you could have insulate greater that 1000 grams or even 2000 grams but to have even consistency is another thing….Right….Or do I need to go back to school?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Yup you got me right. Think what would happen if you compressed all the insulation between the studs of the walls in your house. Or another,…A down jacket is warm because of the air the feathers hold. It wouldn’t be warm if the down was compressed together.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

oh and I’m not mad, I just went to school for a long time

pjwatson05
    Lincoln, NE

Quote:

Cal, I found many boots with 2000 grams. See below

2000 Gram LaCrosse

big G

I have those boots, they are excellent and at a good price. Think I paid $170 a while ago for mine.
    They are like 3 lbs a peice
    I have had Danners and Rocky’s, I will never wear anything but Lacrosse now.
    I have had the Mickey Mouse boots also they work very well.
    Had plenty of evperience with them in the Army.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

I ended up ordering him the cabela’s inferno boot. I will however pick him up a pair of mickey mouse boots as well. I’ll let him make the decision and test them out. Thanks for the input.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Another vote for the mukluks, check out their new product, the camuks, hands down the best/warmest ice fishing boots on the market, trust me, I have tried them ALL-

Here are the recent discussions on boots…
    Boots

timmy

Luke – You try those new camuks yet? I bought the originals last year. I was amazed at how warm they are, but dissappointed with the water resistance. Drilling just a couple of holes, if you slipped up once and let them get splashed from pulling the auger out, I ended up with wet feet. Even with their waterproofing on them. I like them for DRY and cold conditions.

Tim

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep, I was just out in south dakota- and they are great!! I couldn’t be happier with the camuks!

timmy

I read that the camuks are “rubberized” moosehide on the foot……..water proof enough to walk in a couple of inches of slush for a ways? If so, dang you……..because it’ll cost me a couple $$$$$

Tim

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep the foot is completely rubberized, so you can stand in 2-3 inches of water, and be fine-

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.