Question on pulling flipovers with a snowmobile

• JoeMX1825
    MN

So I have a high performance snowmobile that I ride the trails with. I want to be able to pull my Otter flip over from now, but I’m having a tough time finding a good hitch for the snowmobile bumper. My question is this, I have a thick pull rope already threaded through my Otter’s hitch holes, what danger do I have if I just tie the rope upto the snowmobile bumper? (other than the Otter ramming into the back of my sled if I immediately stopped) This can be mitigated by attaching a longer rope, driving slow and doing a slow loop to the area I’ll setup shop on the lake.

Does anybody simply tie the flip over to the bumper of their sled anymore?

muc33

The stiff tension of a draw bar will prevent fishtailing, and a possible twist and roll. I have seen too many times the sling shot effect or wrap around smash of a rope. Get rigid, it will save you time and likely damage to your sled and fish house sled too. I know many who have welded thier own, but I don’t have those skills. So I purchased mine through Otter.

baldwin4
    NE IA

run the rope thru 2 pieces of pvc pipe to help with slamming into back of sled…

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I tie directly on to the bumper of my sled. You are right you need to slow down slowly so it doesnt slide into the back if your sled. if I am going a long ways I will use my tow-rope from my truck.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I did it and destroyed equipment and a portable in the process. It fishtails way too much and things move around inside or the sled can tip. In deep snow everything rides nice, but bare ice and frozen snow were really bad.

broman

Quote:

I did it and destroyed equipment and a portable in the process. It fishtails way too much and things move around inside or the sled can tip. In deep snow everything rides nice, but bare ice and frozen snow were really bad.

Exactly. You’ll use rope, once, and only once then you’ll know why you need to get a tow bar and hitch. I use the Otter hitch on my Clam. Rigged up a way to connect the two. Hitches can be bought online at Dennis Kirk or Amazon or any local PowerSports place.

clang
    Garrison, MN

I use a rope on my fish house. It is not ideal but it works just fine. I tie mine pretty short actually. I fish mille lacs and run all over the lake. The only time I have been close to having any issues is when I hit glare ice. I would not hesitate…just use common sense. I like the rope to move my house when I get to my spot. As long as you are on snow you can move along at a pretty good clip too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thanks for the replies, I can definately see both sides of the coin, I managed to find a simple universal hitch for cheap on amazon, i’ll see what that setup looks like when it arrives.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I guess the question that comes to my mind is if you have spent $Xthousand on a snowmobile and $Xhundred on an Otter house and $X Hundreds on fishing electronics/tackle/poles/reels, then why in god’s name would you cheap out on the thing that will get your gear to the fishing hole all in one piece???

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

What i did for my Ski doo was change to a heavier bumper and special lock down hitch that work great. Both parts were factory and went on easy.

Good Luck
    Chris

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

I guess the question that comes to my mind is if you have spent $Xthousand on a snowmobile and $Xhundred on an Otter house and $X Hundreds on fishing electronics/tackle/poles/reels, then why in god’s name would you cheap out on the thing that will get your gear to the fishing hole all in one piece???

It’s more of a convienance issue with me, I don’t like getting tired out and sweaty when I haul the shack accross the lake by foot, I also like the fact if i’m fishing on a smaller lake that I won’t be towing the house very far, I have the tow rope all ready to go vs if I had the Otter hitch setup, I’d have to take it off, thread rope through the holes, etc..

Again, when pulling from the sled, I would go very slow..

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Quote:

I have the tow rope all ready to go vs if I had the Otter hitch setup, I’d have to take it off, thread rope through the holes, etc..

Again, when pulling from the sled, I would go very slow..

Just put a loop in each end of your tow rope and use the same pins that hold the Otter hitch on. Only takes a few minutes to swap them.

IMO it doesn’t matter how slow you are gonna go, a rope is going to cause problems. Been there, done that.

arklite881south

Honestly the safe route for both you and your equipment is a hitch and tow bar. I”ve seen some pretty ugly stuff when it comes to pulling houses with ropes.

Firsthand many moons ago I was pulling my portable house off the ice by hand when a sled pulled up to me and generously offered me a tow in. Graciously I accepted the offer and was happy to be done lugging the house through the snow. The rope caught the track and hurled all of my equipment into our backs and over the sled. I narrowly escaped being beheaded as my power auger shot over us like a missle landing 30 feet ahead of the snowmobile.

Can you pull your equipment with a rope…Sure. Will the potential of an accident going from ice to snow or hitting a bump shorten your life span….I vote yes.

I know I will NEVER do it again beyond the fact that I was left picking up mystery pieces of broken plastic, flashers, brokend rods and a bent auger back to my truck. Good part….Saved the $$ in the hitch system.

JoeMX1825
    MN

well said, looks like i’m picking up the Otter hitch this weekend

arklite881south

Quote:

I think it’s a wise decision.

muc33

Quote:

Quote:

I think it’s a wise decision.

Couldn’t agree more!

mike ice

What you could also do is above the hitch point on your Otter put a couple short 3/8″ eye bolts and fender washers front and back. Then when your towing just tuck the rope under your travel cover. this is how I do it on my Otter. As others have stated you really should have a rigid hitch, whether if it Otter, Clam or homemade.

scottie56005

30 feet in front of you?? Was it bar close at the bird or what!? ahahaha. Sounds like an extremely scary accident.

A hitch is pretty much a must have. Saying your just going to go slow is not a reality. Things happen. Like its flipping cold out. You come across thin ice and there is no time to just idle over it. Deep slush/snow your going to get stuck so you pin it. A few others I’m sure and of course bar close. Hitch it or ditch it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.