Otter rod box – do you fold reel handles?

• kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Wifey surprised me with an Otter rod box. I use the smallest President reels and when I closed it the first time I felt it was a tad tight due to the reel handles.

Do you guys collapse them?

Thanks, I look forward to the responses…

Kurt

mrbluesky

You can if you want too. I have folded mine a few times, but you can get away with not folding them too!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

At the end of a day, I collapse all of my reel handles. When moving around during the day I don’t even worry about them. This is with various 500 series Shimano reels. Sorry I can’t speak specifically to the Presidents.

FDR

Alex Anderson
    Minneapolis, MN

I would… I saw my buddy snap the handle off his shimano while closing his otter box three days ago.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

This is my first season using the case. I am unsure if it is necessary, but I have been folding mine down. It only takes an extra minute or two at most. I will error on the side of safe versus sorry. I do plan to buy rod slicks next.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

If you do fold them down don’t forget to put them back up when you start fishing, I’ve done it a time or 2 trying to get down the hole fast!!!

Ed

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have used my Otter Box for two seasons now and always fold the handles down. I have also been there with Ed in forgetting to put them back when I got to the next spot a few times

Love the box though and have 6 combos in there with no issues – tangle free and nothing broken

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve had my Otter Rod box for almost 10 years and I always fold down the handles. It’s better on your reels, better on the case and you can fit more rods in it when they’re folded down. It’s one of the most valuable items I own

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I have another brief task to complete to protect the goods…

Good fishing! Kurt

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Had one for the past 5-6 years and yes, I fold the handles down.

great box when I am traveling a long ways with a sled toeing the portable.

Never haver to worry about breaking a spendy rod.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.