Firewood

• yogi

Just looking at what kind of firewood you all burn in your fireplace what do you perfer? I am reading elm in the best. I burn oak most of the time but when I get walnut I’d rather burn that. Whats your opinion?

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I like Red Elm , its a hot clean burning wood.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Ash! Hot clean burning and splits like a dream.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

I like Red Elm , its a hot clean burning wood.

X2 You can cut it and burn it the same day

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Maple …RR

Agree with this, just the worst to cut and split…

BASSWOOD !!! The ultimate cutting, splitting and burns in minutes wood !!!

jigs

Be very careful burning Walnut, the smoke and shavings are dangerous to breath in.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Can’t say I have ever burned walnut… can’t say I have ever seen a walnut tree ??

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Lots of walnut down here Glen, Its in 95% of the timbers. It burns good but ashes the chimneys up and they have to be cleaned more often. I like hedge the best, then locust then elm. Hedge is that species that farmers used to plant on thier borders instead of useing fence which was to expensive, they planted hedge for fenceing to keep thier animals in. Its next to impossible finding hedge anyway. Locust is my next choice, it burns as hot as elm and oak and lasts longer but getting a constant supply for every winter is hard to do, if I could I would. All three of those burn as hot as oak and it lasts longer. To me oak starts better but dosen’t burn as long. I heat my house with wood and to me locust and elm is the best and the trees I look for. If you can find standing trees with the bark starting to come off or already off use that tree. Even if its laying on the ground and has soaked up ground moisture it still burns good. As long as most wood is cured it burns good. I try to find wood thats been dead a couple years and still standing but as long as its cured it burns good and the chimney stays cleaner. A decent wood believe it or not is malberry, it burns about as long as elm. When your heat the house with wood just about any is good as long as its cured but I prefer locust and then elm then the oak species which there about 5 diffrent kinds here, Red, white, black, pin and burr oaks. Theres some hickory here and it burns good too just not as long as elm. Big timbers of hickory are in southern Iowa, about 75% of the trees are hickory. Ash is also a good wood, they are green, red and white ash here and is one of the rare woods that can be cut down and will burn without drying or curing, especially when the saps down in the winter. Maples ok too but also burns faster then elm. I didn’t know too much about burning wood until I started to heat my house with it and burned diffrent kinds, locust and Elms my choice if I could burn it all the time. I got my eye on 2 70′ elms and it would take two guys to put thier arms around thier bases, thats about half a winters wood just in those two trees, thier both prime firewood right now, I just have to go get and split them.

yogi

Thanks to all your reply’s! You guys know your wood I have never heard of some of the wood you guys mention, I also didnt know that elm is the highest on most list I always beleived that oak was the best.

Thanks again guys enjoy the wood burning season!! Nothing better then the smell of wood in the air!

lick

Quote:

Ash! Hot clean burning and splits like a dream.

Nothing beats some hot ash

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.