Hummingbirds

• gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

There sure is abundance of hummingbirds around my house this year. I have them fly around the house so much you got to be careful that they don’t run into you. I have been going though about 25 to 30 ounces of sugar water a week and don’t look like is going to stop. I think it is a good sign to see so many.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Or maybe a bad sign, there aren’t enough flowers.

MNdrifter
    Participant

Don’t let Dutchys negativity get you too… chased

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Saw the heading and thought you had depth finder/gps for sale.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Don’t let Dutchys negativity get you too… chased

What the Eff did I say? frown

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! ^^ I think you were just owned Mr.DBoy! applause

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m just jealous. We had a feeder but never got them to come to it. We see some once in a while, but it is pretty rare.

We did plant a bush that’s been getting butterflies, so hopefully the Hummers are next.

mike-west
    Participant
    Amery, WI

Have alot at our house again this year just outside of Amery.
    Had a bunch early on but once all the lillies starting blooming they either invited alot of friends or a bunch crashed the party!
    Thinking a bunch crashed the party as they sure like to fight alot
    Also going though gallons of sugar mixture this summer.
    We currently have 5 feeders out and thinking we could use more
    Sure are fun little critters to watch.

?????
    Participant

It is a good year up here by Walker MN as well we go thru 12 cups of sugar water each day. we wil m ost likely go thru 60 lbs of sugar this summer. We have somewhere arround 25-30 working the feeders all day. The young have hatched are are really hungry. I have a video or two but it is too large to download here. Fun to watch them fight and buzz arround but do not sit too close you will be the one in the flight path.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

It is a good year up here by Walker MN as well we go thru 12 cups of sugar water each day.

Whoa! That is nuts. I like watching the little buggers, but I don’t have nearly that many.

?????
    Participant

Hope I did this right and published it on Youtube

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

This would be cool.

We have Scrub Jays that can become quite tame in the wild. We found a preserve near us that if you bring a water bottle, they’ll drink it from your hand. Mocking birds are supposed to be easy to tame too, but they require insects.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Kabe that video is cool! Its almost surreal. You have to feel bad for the submissive ones flying around waiting for a spot while the dominant ones perch and drink. LOL

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Don’t know that I even see one or two in the spring and that is at most. Here in SE WI, not sure if putting a feeder out would attract them? Or if there’s some habitat missing from the area?

Would love to have them around

gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

Kab-c You win!!! I don’t have many! That awesome!!!

?????
    Participant

After watching the video I posted look at a few of the others that come up. What we have is minor compared to some. It is really cool when the little ones hatch and they just flock to the feeders. My wife plants alot of lowers arround the patio etc… and that helps bring them in as well. Last year we had just a few but this year it is game on again. Someone has to support the sugar companies. If we ate that much sugar I know I would be way too round to fly.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Don’t know that I even see one or two in the spring and that is at most. Here in SE WI, not sure if putting a feeder out would attract them? Or if there’s some habitat missing from the area?

Would love to have them around

I “think” it helps to live near some source of water. I’ve also heard running water helps, so having a fountain might attract them as well.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’m in the Eagan area and we probably go through 80-80 ounces of sugar water weekly.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Hope I did this right and published it on Youtube

Awesome video. I am always in awe of videos like that. The hummers that frequent my feeder are usually quite territorial. I’ve never seen two share a feeder. If two are present, they invariably chase each other off.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Do you have a feeder that big? That might help a little.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.