Humminbird Helix 9 Vs 10. Pros/cons etc..

• WK

Im looking into upgrading my sonar to a Helix 9 or 10. I have a tiller. pros/cons and If people have one of these what do you think of the units?

David Blais

Just put a 10 on my boat. I love it! So bright and clear. The 9 looks goofy with the smaller screen and large housing, same size as 10

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160227_102117781.jpg

WK

Do you have two trasducers? one for side imaging and one for 2d. I saw somewhere that said to have both because the side imaging transducer doesnt read well (even when using 2d) at high speeds.

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

The difference between the Helix 10 and 899 is crazy, thanks for the pics David. How’s the ease of use of the helix? hockey’s tux, let me know what you decide on. I was considering picking up a helix this year to replace my 898

snelson223
    Austin MN

Do you have two trasducers? one for side imaging and one for 2d. I saw somewhere that said to have both because the side imaging transducer doesnt read well (even when using 2d) at high speeds.

You will need both transducers. The side imaging is only good for 5 mph or less.

David Blais

i do have two transducers for the separate graphs. the 10 is a little easier to adjust settings on, other then that very similar as far as using.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

What about the auto charting feature. Is it built in the helix 10? Doesn’t it require external software on your home computer? Anyone have any input on this feature. Thanks in advance

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Just put a 10 on my boat. I love it! So bright and clear. The 9 looks goofy with the smaller screen and large housing, same size as 10

David,
    That picture is going to cause a lot of guys to get a H10.

I agree, just like the 800 vs 900 series, if the outer case is the same, it seems silly not to spend the extra few dollars and get the larger screen.

HRG

David Blais

Pretty sure the auto chart is built in… I’ll try it out on Friday

JoeMX1825
    MN

autochart live is built-in on all Helix 9,10,12….

You are allowed 8 hours of recording time, if you want to have more than that, you need to buy the zero-line SD card…The only difference between the 9 & 10 (other than screen size) is that the Helix 10 comes with the HD transducer vs the Helix 9 comes with the compact transducer… You can do the Humminbird transducer swap program for around $100, so factor that in…

The pixel density/sharpness/resolution of the Helix 10 is 2nd only to the Onix 10, so it’s pretty awesome for the pricepoint…

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Thanks for the info as it helps me a lot. I think for the money you can’t go wrong with the 10si unit. Now I just need to wait for them to go on sale soon.

WK

x2^!!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Depending on you hull and take the time to set up the HD SI transducer and you may not need a second transducer for 2D. MY HDSI transducer read 2D fine up to 50 GPS.I did after a couple of years added a 2D started fishing more stump and rock areas and was worried about wrecking my HD SI transducer. My Si reads fine up to about 35 GPS you loose detail but will still show much of the bottom structure, turn up scroll speed to 10 and go for it.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’m in the same boat as a lot of people trying to decide how much money I want to spend on a new locater. If you go with the Helix 10si, it comes with the HDSI transducer. What is the other recommended Transducer to buy?

JoeMX1825
    MN

HDSI is the best transducer humminbird makes outside of the Onix lineup and the only difference the Onix ducer has is separate crystals for DI…

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’m in the same boat as a lot of people trying to decide how much money I want to spend on a new locater. If you go with the Helix 10si, it comes with the HDSI transducer. What is the other recommended Transducer to buy?

I guess my question is that I see people are recommending getting 2 transducers. What is the other Transducer people are buying to go along with the HDSI?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just your basic Humminbird 2D transducer that you can either glass in or install on the back. My boat came with a 2d ducer glassed in from the factory…Splitter cable plugs into the back of your sonar unit and the 2 cables (SI & 2D ducers) plug into the pigtail splitter…

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Thanks joe, that’s what I was looking for.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’m thinking of upgrading as well to a 10 inch screen. I’m assuming these units have internal gps antennae. Has anyone seen issues with their speed in picking up signals? Any additional thoughts from those running the unit? Are they pretty easy to set up?

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

All I can say is WOW!!! I really like my new Helix 10si unit. The install was easy and very helpful instructions. I also installed a HS transducer with it and glad I did for the safety insurance of my side imaging transducer. The display was amazing in full sun and the details SI and DI gave me much more understanding then what my 2d gave me. The ease of operation was great with the short cut buttons. I’ve yet to use the auto chart feature but will soon. I purchased the MN lake master plus to along with the unit and the details were spot on. I am not a dealer, just ave fisherman but WOW!!!! Worth the money in my book.

JoeMX1825
    MN

They are pretty sweet, I love the fact that it’s widescreen vs the square display of the 119x series…it doesn’t stick over the top of my windshield as well…

WK

Wanna post a picture of transom placement.. I plan on having both 2d sonar and Si unit so the Si unit will ride higher..

crave2fish
    NULL

I installed the Helix 9SI at the bow and 10SI at the helm. Sure, the screen is a bit smaller on the 9, but it hasn’t bothered me at all. I’m very pleased with both units. I did upgrade the compact SI transducer that comes with the 9SI to the HDSI that comes with the 10SI. No regrets yet on my decision to purchase the 9SI. Saved about $420 by going with the 9SI and switching to the HDSI transducer. More fishing gear!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.