Hitch hauler for portable size issue

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Returned to an suv this summer which means when I put my portable inside the vehicle it becomes a two seater. Found some threads on using one of those hitch haulers off the back of the vehicle.

Here’s my question, portables around around 37″-41″ wide but the biggest hauler I could find is 24″. What’s the best way to deal with the shack hanging over? Length isn’t an issue, found one at 60″ long and that’s about where my new shack lands.

FWIW – yes I”m aware of road grime, no getting a trailer isn’t an option where I live, and yes I will really miss my half ton at times this winter.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I believe technically you will need a hitch hauler with lights if it extends more than 2′ i believe that is why most are 2′.

Ice Cap

Dusty is correct. Best you can do is strap it down. But that still not may be enough if it hangs too far over the rack. If it looks rube goldberg to the state trooper behind you you most likely will get pulled over.

Keith

Rig the portable to sit on its side.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I believe technically you will need a hitch hauler with lights if it extends more than 2′ i believe that is why most are 2′.

Forgot about this kind of thing. Assuming that’s the same as needing a red flag if it’s hanging out the back over a certain distance. Got a ticket for that some years back hauling lumber and the flag fell off, think I would remember frown

Try searching for cargo haulers for wheelchairs/scooters.
    There’s quite a few that are deeper than 24″

What is the bottom dimensions of your sled?

37″ according to Clam. Interesting idea and will have a look. Prices certainly go up for these too. This would only be 1-3 times a year so not what my limit is. Also have to store it and that’s an issue as well.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Looks like 4′, according to MN 169.52 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.52

Lights would probably be required if the load blocks the vehicles existing tail & brake lights. Blocking the rear license plate should be considered, too.

HRG

tornadochaser

Not that expensive to have somebody fab a custom sized hitch hauler. Throw a set of magnetic tail lights on it and go.

Andrew Pansch

I have a custom built one that fits a clam Yukon… it’s heavy but that’s what you get when it’s all steel. I haven’t used it much and probably won’t with my new job so I can’t say how well it works.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Back when I had my Tahoe I just had a regular off the shelf carrier. I did have to add a set of tail lights to it after being stopped by a county deputy for the house blocking my tail lights. I just used a cheap replacement set for a trailer and drilled and mounted then right to the carrier directly. then wired them with the same 4 connector plug from a trailer. plugged them into my trailer plug in on the Tahoe and I was good to go. as for the width issue I would just center the house on the carrier and the ribs in the bottom of the sled would hold it mostly in place then I would add a strap or two to keep it from bouncing off the carrier.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

You can find a nice receiver extension on Amazon like I did here then your shack can hang over toward your vehicle

Attachments:
    1. BEC55908-2C9B-4491-8B42-BC458841BD91.jpeg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You can find a nice receiver extension on Amazon like I did here then your shack can hang over toward your vehicle

The OP say’s he has an SUV, so help me understand how that type of extension will help? Are you thinking he should drive with the hatch open?

HRG

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

There’s one at Fleet farm black Friday sale that’s longer than avg.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn-d wrote:</div>

The OP say’s he has an SUV, so help me understand how that type of extension will help? Are you thinking he should drive with the hatch open?

HRG

Seems pretty easy to visualize what Glenn is suggesting and why.

A rack as built is going to be directly behind the vehicle. If the rack is 24 inches deep and the shack is 36 inches deep, the result is 12 inches of the shack is hanging over the back of the rack.
    Add a 12inch extension. The shack can now sit centered on the rack with a 6 inch overhang to the back and 6 inch over hang towards the vehicle. Why the heck would you think the hatch would need to be open while driving?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn-d wrote:</div>

HRG

Seems pretty easy to visualize what Glenn is suggesting and why.

A rack as built is going to be directly behind the vehicle. If the rack is 24 inches deep and the shack is 36 inches deep, the result is 12 inches of the shack is hanging over the back of the rack.
    Add a 12inch extension. The shack can now sit centered on the rack with a 6 inch overhang to the back and 6 inch over hang towards the vehicle. Why the heck would you think the hatch would need to be open while driving?

Ahhhh, one of these. Gotcha!

HRG

Attachments:
    1. hitchmate-hitch-receivers-6000-64_1000.jpg

lshd69
    glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Issue

Just got back on here but yes HRG I have an 18” extension then the receiver rack off that. I did that to get my shack away from my exhaust and my Monster Box. Since my rack is open toward the machine. I thought with the extension he could set his shack inside the rack and still get it away from the back of the vehicle. My Cottage or Hideout sits inside the top of my rack real nice and with the Hyfax kit it can’t even slide forward. waytogo

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

How much weight are we really talking about? With an extension some 2 inch schedule 40 PVC, fittings, and few 2X4`s should not be hard to fab one up. Best of all no rust.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Dry weight of the shack around 85 pounds + at least some miscellaneous gear for a static load. Not sure how much load when driving or bouncing across the ice.

Thanks for the suggestions on the receiver extension. A little overhang on both sides sounds a lot better to me.

@HRG if it’s any consolation I needed help understanding as well:???: The extension I had seen online was by a similar name but put a small platform off the tailgate of pickups.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

D
    @HRG if it’s any consolation I needed help understanding as well:???: The extension I had seen online was by a similar name but put a small platform off the tailgate of pickups.

No problem. It was hard for me to see the extension in the original picture, once I cropped and lightened it, it became a lot more visible. It’s hell getting old,,,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. BEC55908-2C9B-4491-8B42-BC458841BD91-2.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That is a ice fishermen dream setup right there. I assume you have to remove the receiver extension and the ice house to load it into the truck – Is that correct?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.