Highest quality wheelhouses

• matthewkolden

I almost wonder if 50% of why im even posting this is to intentionally ruffle some feathers because this is always such a highly debated topic, but I’m bored and can’t help myself.

So, i bought a used Glacier a couple months back and finally had a chance to use it. Overall, fairly happy with it. Few things i don’t like. But as i was out there i starting wondering about other brands. Theres still always going to be the ice castle hate, but they hit a price point. But i learned about brands like Northwinds and Ice Forts which I’d never even heard of before.

So, what are teuly some of the highest quality wheelhouses out there nowadays? My last house before this was way back in 2013 so i haven’t kept up.

So here we go, let the banter begin.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m not an expert or an owner but ive fished out of a lot of different models and they all have problems. I’ve fished out of a Salem, ice core and many different ice castles as well as several homemades. The ice core was the most expensive and also has had the most issues. The ice castles my friends have owned have been mostly trouble free but of course all one has to do is join a few FB groups to see cracked frames and cracked siding from frame shifting.

If I ever buy a fish house I would probably buy a homemade one because they are very affordable comparatively and hope the fellar who made it did a good job

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The highest quality one is whatever your buddy has that lets you use it jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They all have pros and cons. The nicest ice houses I have seen have all been home built. The mass produced shacks all seem nice these days, but the little odds and ends you can see corners cut. Our old firebrand was one of the better Quality shacks I’ve seen and that also had small issues. But you have to expect issues, it’s a travel trailer with a hard life. Just like campers they want the most amount of profit off a sale.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I own a Castle and like it, it does have it’s issues from time to time. The biggest problem I feel is we drag them around through the salt and it is hard to wash it during the winter so the salt sits on stuff and it rusts. There all going to have heater issues and fit and finish stuff. A coworker of mine bought a Northwind and it’s nice, however there new to the game and the holes are in weird spots and when he told me how small his frame was I thought that seems kinda small, I forget the actual spec.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yetti or Firebrand are the nicest mass made ones I’ve been in. Ice Core I don’t really get, crazy expensive and virtually no amenities, so I assume they are near indestructible or something? My buddy that does construction bought an aluminum frame, and finished it himself, that is the nicest fish house I’ve seen by far. And if I’m ever in the market, I’d probably try and buy his or get him to build me one.

CaptainMusky

Yetti or Firebrand are the nicest mass made ones I’ve been in. Ice Core I don’t really get, crazy expensive and virtually no amenities, so I assume they are near indestructible or something?

Its because they will float. To me they look like a dentists office on the inside.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Its because they will float. To me they look like a dentists office on the inside.

In addition to that they are crazy light. My buddies is 25 ft long and weighs 4300 lbs. He can get out on 10″ of ice when other houses of his size need to wait another month

CaptainMusky

In addition to that they are crazy light. My buddies is 25 ft long and weighs 4300 lbs. He can get out on 10″ of ice when other houses of his size need to wait another month

Good point forgot about that!

matthewkolden

Yea those core houses aren’t my jam, but im sure they’re well built. I wouldn’t mind building one out myself if i had more time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yea those core houses aren’t my jam, but im sure they’re well built. I wouldn’t mind building one out myself if i had more time.

It doesn’t have to be a race

matthewkolden

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matthewkolden wrote:</div>

It doesn’t have to be a race

It certainly wouldn’t be. But with my schedule between work and kids, i bet it’d be a 5 year build. At this stage of my life I’m not interested in that, although i change my mind easily.

Hookset
    Southern MN

IMO it does t matter how much money you spend, every fish house manufacturer has its pros and cons, end of the day it’s what fits you and your families needs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.