High water in the fall

• Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I tried the river this morning not thinking it would have come up this much, couldn’t find them anywhere. In the fall, when the water comes up like this, where do the walleye get pushed?

wkw
    Participant

When water is rising, they tend to move shallower,
    when falling, deeper IMHO.
    At least on the Miss.it seems that way.
    WKW

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Yeah, that is what I usually go by, we even found some nice shallow areas where everytime we pitched a jig, minnows were jumping, but nothing else had found the minnows yet I guess. Still trying to figure every different scenario out yet.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just like any other time of year I would bet they are looking to get out of the current a little. If you had been finding them before the water came up maybe look for what is near by that with less current. High water in the fall seems to me a drop in temps to. Might have to slow the presentation down a bit. Holding plastics. Hair jigs. Slow rolling blades. Those spots you are finding with bait you might want to try checking over and over again. Or work them over well with different presentations. It might be the fish just where not feeding when you tried them. Sometimes spots will have pretty short feeding windows.

Good luck.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks Mike!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.