Help

• Justin riegel

So I just obtained permission to hunt a defunct metro golf course through a buddy. I am not sure on how start going by scouting it. I poked around yesterday and it looks like a sign from post apocalypse movie. Everything is grown over but there appeared to be good deer sign in the area. There are farm fields near by which i would assume they feed in once they are cut and some residential areas where they probably eat at feeders. Being that it was a golf course there is many open areas. What kind of funnels should i being looking for and do you think walking around looking for some decent trails over the next couple of weeks will disturb them. I am thinking they are fairly use to be people being that it is in the metro . any advice would be appreciated. I will probably both bow and gun hunt it. I have to look into the city laws for guns but i think i should be good.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Get an aerial map of it preferably with topo and start looking for good bedding areas. Draw lines from them to the food sources. then get boots on the ground and find funnels on those lines. I wouldn’t get too close to the bedding areas this late in the summer when scouting, but city deer are probably going to be more tolerant to human invasion.

Also look for oak trees. This time of year and into early bow season they will be feeding hard on the outrageous amount of acorns this year.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Set up some cams to watch movement. Pick a few locations that will work with the most common fall winds in your area. keep in mind that you don’t want to drag a deer across anybody’s yard. So marginal shots are not an option. I like to keep my stand away from property lines just in case.

Justin riegel

Set up some cams to watch movement. Pick a few locations that will work with the most common fall winds in your area. keep in mind that you don’t want to drag a deer across anybody’s yard. So marginal shots are not an option. I like to keep my stand away from property lines just in case.

Any idea on good cheap cam I could pick up?

Sticker there are lots of oaks on the property and they are dropping good already. I have a few areas where I suspect they would be bedding. One of the other nice things is the east border is surrounded by a SNA so no homes that way.

munchy
    NULL

I’d setup on the 19th hole, that’s where I’ve found my best action.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The Bushnell Essentials E3 is a great camera. Amazon had them for $73 last week, but not right now. If you can find that cam for under $100 it’s a steal!!

Dave maze
    Isanti

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>

The Bushnell Essentials E3 is a great camera. Amazon had them for $73 last week, but not right now. If you can find that cam for under $100 it’s a steal!!

^^^this! They are $107 on Amazon now.

rubberduck
    east bethel

tell me what coarse and I will scout it for ya…. yay rotflol

Justin riegel

tell me what coarse and I will scout it for ya…. yay rotflol

It was Mississippi dunes, I plan to get out Thursday to take a peak. It’s going to be thought to commit to deer hunting as bird hunting is my true love.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

How many years has it been abandoned? Pics maybe? I’m curious what it looks like…….

Justin riegel

I believe it has been closed for just year,

Attachments:
    1. 27913.jpeg

2. 27899.jpeg

3. 27906.jpeg

realtreeap10
    Over there

I’d guess the south part of the driving range is bedding as it has the most trees available to them surrounded partially by swamp. Might have to look at the west side as it kind of looks like a small food plot setup on the adjacent property. You can find Wildgame Innovations cameras for cheap around town if you are only looking for a few with limited funds.

Justin riegel

Well I got chance to walk the property last night and just poke around a bit. I did not spend too much time or go to far in as it was prime time and I did not want to spook the deer too bad.

First deer I saw a big buck, would be my biggest by far either 10 or 12 point well outside the ears and tall. He was about 75 yards away and I immediately ducked down and he was gone when i stood back up. we saw 3-4 more does and a another small buck in the hour walk. I have good idea where they feel safe now and will start to get a game plan going. I will be back out this weekend to set trail cams and mineral block.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.