A Humminbird Down Imaging peek @ scourhole saugers

• jhalfen

Here’s a quick peek at some saugers (and some other fish species, I’m sure) hanging out at the edge of the scour hole below dam #3, just above Everts Resort. This split-screen view (actually a portion of a 3-way split that includes Side Imaging) has the Down Imaging view on top, and the traditional 2D view (recorded with dual beam 200/83 kHz sonar) below. Down Imaging does a great job of identifying the fish that are observed in 2D sonar, as well as those fish that are underneath the boat but outside of the 2D sonar cone (like the fish just above “22.5” in the DI view but completely missing in the 2D view).

Down Imaging will be available as a FREE upgrade to all current Humminbird Side Imaging fishing systems after the first of the year. I’ll keep everyone here posted when the necessary software patches become available.

In the meantime, to learn more about Down Imaging, check out the link below:

An introduction to Humminbird Down Imaging

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

When I was working the resort yesterday I heard quite a few Paddlefish had been snagged from that area. It makes me wonder if that is what some of those bigger marks are on the top screen.

jhalfen

Here’s a 2-way split screen capture showing one bottom oriented fish that is sitting in a low portion of washboard bottom.

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Interesting. Looking to modernized my boat electronics. I spoke with a salesman at a Cabelas store. I was looking at Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin. He recommended Humminbird. Also, said Garmin is slowly moving away from the boating electronics. I am considering buying a Humminbird 788ci. Fits my pocketbook and seems like a good unit to start with.

jhalfen

The 788c sonar/GPS combo is a solid unit with 2D sonar and GPS capabilities. However, because the 788 is not a Side Imaging unit, you won’t have access to Down Imaging. You’ll need a 798, 898, 997/8, or 1197 to do that.

Having said that, I ran a 788 on the bow of my boat last season, and I was very happy with it. I’m replacing it with a slightly larger 858 for 2010.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

My first impression of the downimage screen was very good.It just seemed easier to decipher than most regular sonar readings.I am really looking forward to using it when the downloads are available.

jhalfen

I agree Dean. Here’s a great example of that….starting with a traditional 2D image. What exactly is that thing to the right of the rock in the middle of the image? Brush? A ball of fish?

jhalfen

Well, the answer is neither. Humminbird’s Down Imaging shows that the mystery object isn’t all that mysterious after all. It’s a fish crib, shown in remarkable clarity when imaged with 455 kHz sonar.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Looks like I’ll be breaking the Skeeter out of storage early for an excursion out to pool 4 to ease my winter blues and test out some upgrades to my HB’s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.